Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

ALL of my folders disappeared from my desktop as well as the

Customer Question

ALL of my folders disappeared from my desktop as well as the mac drop down options. was downloading from my external hard drive when I started to get repeated error messages that the device had been removed even though it was till connected. Icon for xternal drive disappeared and I could not quit from drop down menu so i removed usb connection.
could still use photoshop and word and access files from open option. but then could not close apps.. had to force quit all. Can find folders in documents by checking n navigation panel. Internet still working but computer is heating up.
Meanwhile time machine keeps running ( will not quit as it tries to update to the now
non existent external drive) Only way i know to shut down machine at this point is to remove battery
HELP
what to do?????. am in midst of major project and files have to be in Berlin Germany tomorrow. so have another external drive La cie available
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hold the power button for about 10 seconds then turn the computer back on and hold the Shift key until you see the Apple Logo , if it starts up ok restart normally and let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
sorry to say there is good news
and bad news. desktop was restored ....yea BUT lost Internet and printer functionality. despite best efforts could not get airport to even show up. could not reset under preferrnces. modem is fine. printer does not recognize settings.
what now?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Do you have the system disk?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
You will probably have to reinstall the system, here are directions:

Put the current operating system disk (the one that came with your Mac unless you have upgraded) in and restart holding down the letter C key until you see the Apple logo. When you get to the install screen DO NOT INSTALL, you will see at the top of the screen a Utilities menu drop down. Go the Disk Utility, when it opens select your drive on the left and select Verify Disk if OK also repair Permissions. If not OK try to Repair if Repair completes then Repair Permissions. Then quit Disk Utility and then you will see the install screen . Install choosing the option to Archive and Install if you don't have that option just install. Restart and run Software Update until no more updates are available.

If you are satisfied, please kindly Accept and provide OK Rating - or Above. Thanks. I am still here if you have any problems or questions.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Just got back in. worked on borrowed computer today. Have to look for system disk..bought computer in 07 and do remember getting a system upgrade in 09??
Meanwhile I did get internet back up and running. Miracles do happen.
will get back to you ASAP .... eureka...all software and disks were where i hoped! have disc for original Mac os X and os X leopard 10.5.6
which I am currently running.
So i shut down all apps and internet? then install disc. Or do I leave well enough alone and back up projects first? Will stay here for answer
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
I would definitely back up what you can first.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
will get back to you tomorrow... this will take time. thanks so much
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
OK good luck
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Any luck?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Back up is a long slow slog when interspersed with projects.
Did get printer working again. appreciate your input.
Will not be able to finish this up until Monday when I pick up an extra xternal hard drive. Cannot move to I cloud because this computer is too old..
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Let me know
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
tuesday still working on this project. external drive does not work with my system so am burning to disc.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Ok let me know
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Still there?