Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Ive just lost EVERYTHING on my iphone. I plugged it into

Customer Question

I've just lost EVERYTHING on my iphone. I plugged it into our Mac desktop this morning, and got a message asking if I wanted to set it up as a new phone (which I now realise I should have done!) -or I think, restore to a back-up. I foolishly clicked on the old file of my iphone (very old) and now everything is gone.
There were no warning messages or messages asking me to back-up.
I've tried to see if there was a back-up saved before the restore, but the files seem to be continually overwritten, so the only options are one from Dec 2011, and a few minutes ago (after I lost everything.)
If I go into user/library/application support/mobile sync - I can see a ton of gibberish looking files saved at 10:02 - I think before the restore, and then some other files (info.plist, manifest.mbdb, manifest.plist, status.plist) that are all saved with the most recent back-up version (post restore) at 10:54. We are using a time machine, but everything looks the same in that file when I look in there.
PLEASE HELP - I would be eternally grateful!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Were you using the iCloud?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i believe so, but didn't have it set up to do automatic back-ups?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
In that case when you right click on the phone in the left column in iTunes those dates are all that you have to restore to. What is listed there?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
only two are listed - one from December 2011 (which is what I accidentally restored to) and one very recent one (12:34 now, they seem to keep overwriting each other so the only other listed is post-restore).

- how would I check for an icloud backup?

-would a pre-restore back-up not be saved with my time machine?

-i can see a ton of files in user/library/app support/mobile sync that were saved at 10:02 today, which I think was before the restore - are they not there?

thanks
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
What is listed there is all you have. If you click on Summary tab under Info it will say under each item if you are backing up to iCloud or not.

NO Answer is final, PLEASE DO NOT Rate to Finish unless this Answer is correct and you are satisfied. If so then you can Accept and Rate my Service. If it does not solve your problem, please Reply to Expert and let me know, I am here until we can fix the problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
-summary tab under info WHERE - on my iphone, itunes???
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Sorry same thing you were doing in iTunes select the phone and then Summary on the right, Info
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm still not sure what you are talking about. I don't see an info tab under summary, or a summary tab under info
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
In iTunes with the phone plugged in, select your phone under Devices what do you see listed on the right?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
summary, info, apps, music, movies, tv shows, photos
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Sorry Info is its own tab
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes....
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok look under that at each item what does it say under them it will say if you are using the iCloud or not?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
under info - it has a number of items listed
-sync contacts

-sync calendars

-sync mail accounts

-other

-advanced

it doesn't say anything about icloud?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok then you are not using it. Actually you can see that under Summary too, is Backup to iCloud checked?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no, it says back up to this computer
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Then those backups are all you have sorry.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
wasn't able to tell me anything that a very simple google search hadn't already told me :(
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
You didn't mention any of that at the beginning! So if you saw all that on the internet already then why didn't you know if you had backed up to the iCloud or not? I gave you information you did not have, if you don't want to pay just close the question. I don't deserve a Poor Service rating. Thanks.