Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I cannot get Audio Midi setup open. I have upgraded to 10.6.8

I cannot get Audio Midi setup open.
I have upgraded to 10.6.8 and this appears to be the problem.Any answers?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

First I need some information and I also want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation :

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Click on the first icon in the Dock the "Finder", then click on Go at the top of the screen, you will see a drop down menu, go to Utilities. When that opens double click on the application called Disk Utility. When Disk Utility opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that is OK in green type, then click on Repair Permissions on the left.

Note: If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Mike
Thanks for your follow up, I was just taking my head out of the oven when I heard your text.
I've clicked on the HD and it reads it has 40 mins to verify the drive so whilst it's doing that, here's the info you requested:
10.6.8
Proc: 2.33 Ghz intel core 2 duo
Mem: 2 Gb 667 mhz DDRZ SDRAM

Look forward to hearing from you

Cheers
Chaz
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Mike
I sent an e mail with the info you needed.
The repair disc does not highlight.
Here's the comp info again: 10.6.8
Proc: 2.33 Ghz intel core 2 duo
Mem: 2 Gb 667 Mhz DDR2 SDDRAM
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
repair permissions was not successful
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
So Verify Disk was OK in green type and then you Repaired Permissions?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes but this hasn't altered the status of the audio midi setup
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
But was it ok? Verify Disk was OK in green type and then you Repaired Permissions?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok go to Macintosh HD: Users: yourusername: Library:Preferences: drag com.apple.audio.AudioMIDISetup.plist to the trash and restart the computer. Try it again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
DId you see my last post?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes and I've done as instructed and restarted the mac x2
What now as I have no way of finding whether the midi works or not?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Does the Audio/Midi Setup open?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
WHERE DO I OPEN IT AS I PUT IT IN THE TRASH?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
That is the preference file not the actual app. Go to Applications / Utilities / open Audio MIDI Setup
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Done that the file won't open-doesn't respond in any way
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
When you double click it do you see the word Audio Midi Setup next to the Apple Logo
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Haven't heard from you - guess you cannot fix?,Yes
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
I asked you a question you have not replied:

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes - I answered this already
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
You didn't answer here sorry. If you can see the words Audio MIDI Setup next to the Apple Logo it is open just go to Window to see each pref:

graphic
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Do you see it now?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes and I've tried to record onto Garageband but it is still not connecting
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
What device are you trying to use and how is it connected?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Do you have the model number? Is it a keyboard?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Electric guitar via Sapphire 2960 - this was all working perfectly before.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Sorry what is Sapphire 2960? Is that a midi or audio device? Manufacturer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes its a analogue to digital interface made by focusrite
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Please go here and download the latest driver for your system version:
http://www.focusrite.com/downloads/
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've been on the sight but cannot find the right download
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Are you sure about the model number?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes but there doesn't seem to be this model available.
Also why would the midi suddenly stop working?
It makes no sense.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Mike
Thanks so much for all your input - it's fixed!
"Got the job done"
Cheers
Chaz
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
GREAT!!!!

If you are satisfied, please kindly Accept and provide OK Rating - or Above. Thanks. I am still here if you have any problems or questions.
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.