David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc H.Dip Apple Certified Professional

I am running 10.7.4 on a new iMac. My wife was using it and

I am running 10.7.4 on a new iMac. My wife was using it and now I cannot find my desktop in applications like Photoshop or Word. I do a Save To and the desktop is no longer an option under either Shared or Devices. How do I get that back.

Hi my name is David.

Is your Mac still logged into your account, can you see familiar files on your Desktop and in your Home folder?

Is it possible to open System Preferences from the Apple menu?

Thanks in advance.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
System Preferences is open
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Now what?

Click Users & Groups and then unlock the padlock in the bottom left corner with your password.

Click the plus + above it to add an account. Call it Test and password XXXXX and set it as an administrator account.

Click the Apple menu and logout, then log into the Test account, and then check if the software works as it should.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't think I am explaining this, all I want is for my Desktop to be displayed in "Favorites" when I use "Open" from an application. It does show the desktop in Word, however when trying to import an image in Photoshop I used to just be able to open Desktop and select the image I had done on my scanner. The same is now true for uploading to my website. A file is created by my inventory program (ASX) and saved to the desktop. I then do an upload from my Website but can no longer find the desktop. In all these cases I can put them on my hard-drive and open them, but I would prefer to do it the way that has worked for years, until last week.

Those steps and questions were to find out if your account was changed. If you're sure that is not the issue then I will continue with the issue at hand.

Close all open applications and in Finder click the Finder menu and New Finder Window. The Finder window should show the Favorites list on the left. If Desktop is not listed this could be the issue.

To put it back there, browse to Macintosh HD/Users/youruser/ then drag the icon of the Desktop folder into the Favorites list. Release the icon when you see the blue line, not the blue bubble. If you move it by mistake, then undo it and try again. Once it is in the favorites list it should be accessible in an upload dialog or save dialog.

My previous steps were being thorough to make sure the issue is not worse. If this is the step to fix it you can ignore creating a new account.

Best regards,