John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

I have a MacBook Pro 13" that will not turn on. There is absolutely

I have a MacBook Pro 13" that will not turn on. There is absolutely no respose to the power button. How can I get it to turn on?
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX self-employed tech, and I'm offering my time in good faith today to provide advice and information.

Please note: I can promise to provide expert advice and information only - not for the successful repair of your device. When troubleshooting electronic issues, sometimes the final diagnosis is that it is a physical defect in nature and the ‘answer’ such as in this case may be a recommendation to seek out repair from an authorized service center if the defect in question is not considered “user repairable”. This may be a frustrating answer and I do sympathize but please don't shoot the messenger.

If you understand this, can you please provide the model number for this particular MacBook?

Thanks,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I know it's a MacBook Pro 13". I don't know any more of the details because they're stored on the computer. This number was on the receipt.

13.3/2.4/2X2GB/250/SD

Can you tell me how long ago you purchased it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Dec 29, 2010
Okay, it sounds as though this may be a model that does not have a removable battery.

Shut down the MacBook Pro (MBP).

Plug in the power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the MBP if its not already connected.

On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift, Control, Option keys and the power button at the same time.

Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.

Press the power button to try to turn on the MBP.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No response to that sequence.

Is there a light on the power adapter?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes. It's green.
Thanks.

Depending on your specific model, you may have a small button on the left side or bottom, along with a row of lights, on the MBP that will indicate battery level. What do you see when you press it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
A bunch of green lights -- looks like all of them -- maybe 7 or 8.
Do they flash or are they solidly lit?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Solidly lit when I press the button.
Okay, and if you disconnect the power cord and press the button - do you see the same thing or does the indicator change?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, when I disconnect the power cord and press the button, nothing lights up at all.
Alright, Liz, unfortunately, it sounds like the MBP may not be charging it's battery properly. This could be due to a failure of the battery itself (which would require replacement) but in the case of a dead battery the MBP should usually be usable if plugged in.

The fact that it is not, may indicate a deeper issue with the logic board in the system. Further successful troubleshooting would lead to removing the lower casing of the MBP and this is not recommended for an end user with these models.

At this point, I'm afraid I would recommend it be physically serviced. Do you need assistance in locating an Apple Store or Apple authorized service center?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That would be great, if you can do it. I'm on an island in Brittish Columbia, Canada, right now -- traveling by boat. Would there be anything in Campbell River, Nanaimo, Sidney, or Victoria?
I see 4 Apple Retail Stores in British Columbia however, I'm not exactly sure which would be the closest to your traveling location:

Apple Store, Metrotown
4700 Kingsway
Burnaby, British Columbia V5H 4J2
(778)(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr/>
Apple Store, Oakridge Centre
650 West 41st Avenue
Vancouver, British Columbia V5Z 2M9
(778)(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr/>
Apple Store, Pacific Centre
701 West Georgia Street
Vancouver, British Columbia V7Y 1C6
(778)(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr/>
Apple Store, Richmond Centre
6551 No. 3 Road
Richmond, British Columbia V6Y 2B6
(604)(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr/>
However, there are a number of 3rd party locations:

Boutique : Mac
78 Wharf St
Nanaimo, BC V9R 5G6
(250)(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr/>
Soho Computer Services
264 -XXXXXbr/>Victoria, BC V8T 4N4
(250)(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr/>
If neither of the above are found to be suitable, you may wish to try a search via:
http://www.apple.com/ca/buy/locator/
Victoria seems to have a number of possible service centers.

Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If you continue to have questions on this topic, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further.

Thanks and good luck,

NOTE: The site has recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional, and not other factors outside my control. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply To Expert". Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me as a working individual, so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience on this matter.