Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

When inserting video into iMovie 11 (dragging it in, using

Customer Question

When inserting video into iMovie 11 (dragging it in, using Cutaway feature) it crashes every time. I have 4 external Hard Drives where this footage is contained and have used iMovie 09 successfully in this for over 3 yrs. iLife 11 was just installed on this new HD since my other one crashed in this computer. Computer info: Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,3
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
I woud not say it was not necessary in fact I would Verify Disk on all the drives with Disk Utility to start with, and aslo Repair Permisisons on the system drive. Let me know when done.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Doing it....iMovie version is 9.0.4 btw
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
OK when that is done if all ok go to the Apple Logo to Software Update the latest version of iMovie is 9.0.6.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can I still do that will OS 10.6.8? From Apple site: "This iMovie update requires OS X 10.7.4 or later"
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Oh, ok then. Did you check all the drives?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The drives seem fine...all mount without problems, access readily. I just finished permission repair, trying editing now...
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
But did you check them with the disk utility? They can seem fine and then fail completely if you don't catch it early.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So far so good...can I get back in touch with you if there's problems?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Yes so you mean the clips are not crashing it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry to say that it still crashes. I am doing many video overlays with Cutaway feature. I can work with it for 5 to 10 minutes and then dragging around a clip will crash it still. I've used this HDs with iMovie 09 constantly, no problems. I don't think that's it. It's something with iMovie 11.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
OK but until you check them we will never know that. Try trashing the iMovie prefs close all apps go to Macintosh HD / Users / yourusername / Library / Preferences drag com.apple.imovie.plist to the trash and restart the computer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I had done that earlier, forgot to mention. It didn't help sorry to say.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
OK until you check the drives I really don't have any other advice, if you don't want to do that I'll opt out. Let me know
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Drives are good, I will opt out now, thanks.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Sorry you never said whether you checked them or not so I don't know that.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I need to go now, leaving hotel. Not sure where to rank this conversation, not shown. I would rank as having Helped a Little because the problem persists. When I get back home, I'm installing iLife 09 again and pitching iMovie 11.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Yes I figured which is why I am not giving you an answer until you check the drives. I use iMovie and Final Cut Pro X as well as the other Pro apps for many years and the drives may seem fine but I can't just take your word for it I wouldn't be much of an expert if I did. Warning, you may not be able to open newer projects with the older iMovie. Good luck.