Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

How do I recover files on my MAC with the message the file

Customer Question

How do I recover files on my MAC with the message the file is offline or missing? Using lightroom 3.3. Thank you
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Have you had any external hard drive connected recently or other storage device?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Ok.

First I need some information and I also want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation :

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Click on the first icon in the Dock the "Finder", then click on Go at the top of the screen, you will see a drop down menu, go to Utilities. When that opens double click on the application called Disk Utility. When Disk Utility opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that is OK in green type, then click on Repair Permissions on the left.

Note: If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Mike:
I'm away from my MAC at the moment. I should be home between 4:30 and 5:00 New York time. How late can I reach you? I need this file for a photo shoot I'm doing tomorrow morning.

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
I will be here, let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
K
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Mike:
Fix did not work. Using MAC version 10.6.8. I really think the problem resides in the Lightroom software. I'll be at the machine until we resolve this. As I told you I need the image for a shoot tomorrow morning. Very frustrating to see the image I need and not be able to get at it. I do appreciate the help.

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
If you know the name of the file do a search in Spotlight. Also quit LR hold Option Command and start LR, check the box Test the Integrity of this catalogue.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry to say nothing worked. Also tried screen shot and failed
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Do you have a Time Machine backup?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, Tried it didn't get what I needed. Sorry if my responses aren't as quick we both would like. My daughter called from Texas daughter issues and we still haven't had supper. Thanks for hanging in.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
No problem:

1. (Optional) In the Library module, choose Library > Find Missing Photos to display missing files in the Grid view.
  2. Click the Photo Is Missing icon in a thumbnail cell in the Grid view.
  3. A dialog box opens and displays the last known location of the missing photo.
  4. Click the Locate button, navigate to where the photo is currently located, and then click Select.
  5. (Optional) In the Locate dialog box, select Find Nearby Missing Photos to have Lightroom search for other missing photos in the folder and reconnect them as well.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Version 10.6.8 2 Gb mhz DDR2 SDrar
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Sorry not sure why tou sent that? Did you try?:

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
None of the solutions work. The video doesn't play. The reason for me
sending you the MAC info is in response to your request. I've got just enough time for one more try before I have to pack and go.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Sorry I tried my best I guess they are gone. I'll opt out.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for trying. Please see that my account is credited.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
I don't have anything to do with accounts, sorry