i-cubed
i-cubed, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  I've been a Mac user and admin since 2004 and a PC consultant since 1998. help.i-cubed.net

I switched to ICloud but kept my email with mobile me at mac.com.

I switched to ICloud but kept my email with mobile me at mac.com. Can't send or receive emails as of 7/1. Server error is "The connection to the server "mail.mac.com" on port 143 timed out." Have no idea what's wrong.
Category: Mac
Expert:  i-cubed replied 2 years ago.

i-cubed :

In the switch over, Apple has a new address for the mail server. It is now:

i-cubed :

imap.mail.mac.com.

i-cubed :

Just add 'imap. to the front of the address.

Customer:

I added "imap." to the front of the Incoming Mail Server box in the Accounts window but when I close the window and say "save" it doesn't retain the change.

i-cubed :

Question - have you gone to the me.com site? In my case, I had to go there and go through the steps to 'move' the me.com account to iCloud.

i-cubed :

I got this screen in my browser -

Full Size Image

Customer:

I received a confirmation that my mail would continue after June 1 and that I would continue to receive mail at "XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX" Are you saying I need to do more. If so, how to I get to the me.com site? And what if I need a password XXXXX I can't remember?

i-cubed :

I'd like you to check if the move was made to iCloud first. Go to icloud.com and see if you can log in.

i-cubed :

Full Size Image

i-cubed :

And are you using Apple MAIL or some other email program?

Customer:

I went to icloud.com and it says that "your browser is not supported. I have Safari and Firefox and thought I had the latest version of Firefox. Also, how do I know which email program I'm using. Sorry, but I'm 19th century.

i-cubed :

No problem. The screenshot I posted used Firefox version 13.0.1. Can you check what version of Firefox you are using? And what version of OSX are you using?

i-cubed :

So current versions of Firefox work with iCloud.

Customer:

I checked on the About Firefox option and it says Firefox 13.0.1 but I've accepted all of the updates they've sent me. The OSX is 10.5.4.

i-cubed :

You are going to need to get to Leopard 10.5.8.

Customer:

And how do I do that?

i-cubed :

Click the APPLE icon and select 'Software Update...'

i-cubed :

It is going to be a rather large update.

i-cubed :

Your version of OSX was released in 2008; the very last patch for Leopard was released August , 2009.

i-cubed :

Are you trying the update?

Customer:

Yes, it says about 2 minutes to go.

i-cubed :

Good. So you have a fast connection. While waiting, please close your email program.

i-cubed :

It will require a reboot so bookmark this page so that you can get back to our session.

Customer:

Hi again. I was instructed to restart my computer and everything fell apart after that. Anyhow, Leopard was downloaded. Now what?

i-cubed :

I've made the assumption you are using Apple MAIL. Is this right?

Customer:

I think so but how do I know for sure?

i-cubed :

Easiest way is to use SPOTLIGHT in the upper left corner. Just type in the word mail

Customer:

Upper left corner of what?

i-cubed :

The top hit should be the MAIL app. If so, click on the Mail app in the results. Does the program that opens up look familiar?

i-cubed :

I made an assumption here that you are using a Mac- Yes/No?

Customer:

I'm sorry but you've lost me completely. Yes, a Mac.

i-cubed :

In the upper LEFT HAND corner of your Mac's screen there is an icon that looks like a magnifying glass - it is call SPOTLIGHT. IF you don't see it, I'll send a screenshot.

i-cubed :

Full Size Image

Customer:

Okay, I've got it. It's in the upper RIGHT HAND corner of my screen. And, yes, when I click on the Mail app it goes directly to my mailbox inbox.

i-cubed :

Open up your mail and select PREFERENCES.

Customer:

Done.

i-cubed :

I want you to click the PLUS sign at the bottom to create a new account. Put in your normal name BUT I want you to intentionally misspell your email address to say @met.com NOT me.com

Customer:

What do I put in for password?

i-cubed :

Your normal one. What we are doing is fooling the mail program. If you put in @me.com, it will automatically assign the old email server. With the wrong address we get into a manual mode so that we can enter the right information.

Customer:

I don't remember my "normal one" .

i-cubed :

Let me find you a link to reset it. Just a sec...

Customer:

I have to click the forgot pasword option. How will I get the new password XXXXX my email doesn't work?

i-cubed :

You are going to need a valid password XXXXX get these new settings to work. Before we go any further, try and see if you can add the IMAP to the mail server name and see if it saves now that your computer is up to date.

i-cubed :

Like you tried in the beginning.

Customer:

Just so I'm doing this right, I add IMAP in capital letters in the box saying "incoming mail server'?

i-cubed :

No, lowercase is fine. I just used caps for emphasis.

i-cubed :

imap.mail.me.com

Customer:

No, it didn't save it. I closed the box and clicked save and it's not saving it. And it's the "incoming mail server" box, right?

i-cubed :

Yep. Let's try plan B even though you don't have your password.

Customer:

I can take a reasonable shot at the password. Should we give it a try? Or should I just wait for you to tell me what Plan B is?

i-cubed :

To create the account with the typo. As you continue you will eventually get to a screen like this:

i-cubed :

Full Size Image

i-cubed :

Full Size Image

Customer:

So is that a yes, try the password XXXXX think it might be?

i-cubed :

Sure - no harm.

i-cubed :

When you get to a similar screen, you are going to choose IMAP from the dropdown that should be set at POP by default.

Full Size Image

i-cubed :

Full Size Image

Customer:

So now I have an Outgoing mail server" window. How do I fill that out?

i-cubed :

From Apple -

SMTP (outgoing mail server) information:

• Server name: smtp.mail.me.com

• SSL Required: Yes

• Port: 587

• SMTP Authentication Required: Yes

• Username:XXX@XXXXXX.XXX (use your @me.com address from your iCloud account)

• Password: Your iCloud password

i-cubed :

So the address will be - smtp.mail.me.com . I believe it is the same as the original ME.COM server.

i-cubed :

Apple's support document on this is here - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4864 in case you need it for further reference.

Customer:

Okay, all it asks for is the outgoing mail server. So I type smtp.mail.me.com in there, right? There's a checked box for "Use Authentication" and then a username box with "normaemond" in it and a password XXXXX with dots in it. So, does this look okay to you?

i-cubed :

Sounds right though not sure what normaemond is.

Customer:

Got a box that says "Mail can't verify the identify of "smtp.mail.me.com" You might be connecting to a server that is pretending to be "smtp.mail.me.com." Would you like to connect to the server anyway?

i-cubed :

Yes connect.

Customer:

It's given me an Account Summary box:

Customer:

It's given me an Account Summary box.

Customer:

Do I click on create?

i-cubed :

Yes. If there is a summary box, it usually means there are no errors. Looking good.

Customer:

It says my email address is "XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX". Is that the way we want it?

i-cubed :

The security of the JustAnswer system always blocks out the email addess, so all I see are X's.

i-cubed :

Can you see if mail is there?

Customer:

Okay, let me put it this way. Instead of "me" it has "met". Also, no, no mail in the inbox. Still have an "Unable to Connect" icon that appears near the "inbox" and "normaemond (at)" options when I open my email.

i-cubed :

Go back to account preferences and correct/cjange any references that were set to 'met.com' to 'me.com'

Customer:

Should I hit the "Create" option on the "Account Summary" box first?

i-cubed :

I thought you already did that. Yes - please.

Customer:

The account imformation page is up and it still shows "incoming mail server" as "mail.mac.com." But my emails are flowing into the inbox. I still have the "unable to connect" icons next to "Inbox" and a few others.

i-cubed :

We've created a second account. The email is going in via the settings from our work araound. The original account - because it is still there - will deliver the can't connect error.

i-cubed :

If the new settings are working, you will no longer need the original account for email. Just make sure that you have a record of addresses you've saved from the original account. To be conservative, it does not hurt to have the original account in place as you sort things out. Just remember that is where the errors are coming from.

Customer:

What does "sort things out" mean? Also, I'm assuming that my email address, the one that people use to send me emails stays the same. Is that so?

i-cubed :

Your email address has not been changed. All that's been done is we've fooled the mail setup to take the 'imap.mail.mac.com' . In the ACCOUNT PREFERNCES you DO need to change any references to 'met.com' back to 'me.com.

Customer:

I've tried sending myself an email and it's not coming through. How come?

i-cubed :

Check and make sure the new outbound (SMTP) server settings are being used in your preferences. More than likely, you are trying to send email with the old settings. Maybe you should just delete the old account settings now. That way MAIL only sees one outbound mail server.

Customer:

When I go to "Accounts" I have a cloud icon that says MobileMe account and has all the old info in it and an IMAP account that has "me" in the email address and "imap" in the incoming mail server box. Are you saying that I should get rid of the MobileMe account information and if so, how can I do that?

i-cubed :

Have MobileMe highlighted. Click the MINUS sign in the lower corner.

i-cubed :

Yes. That now leaves you with the one account.

Customer:

That's scary. It says basically that the email address with "mac" in it that everyone uses is going to be erased. Are you sure?

i-cubed :

That's why I suggested you leave the old one in place - for your piece on mind. The Apple ME.COM email is supposed to be stored on Apples computers. I do not work for Apple. I am not sure how long you've had the ME.COM email. There is no way I can tell if you've saved lots of old emails that might get deleted. Sorry. I'm just trying to get you your email. If mail came into your INBOX, my workaround got you connected. As far as mail being sent out, you need to use the new settings - smtp.mail.me.com. The reason your test mail did not go out is that it most likely is using the old OUTBOUND mail server - smtp.me.com. That server was turned off on July1.

Customer:

I switched over on June 24. I don't know what you mean by save old emails. If I understand you right, you're saying that if I delete the MobileMe IMAP account, you're saying that incoming and outgoing emails will be be using the Me.Com Mail IMAP servers automatically. Is that right?

i-cubed :

Yes, but you can change the OUTBOUND email server in Account Preferences - on my version of Mac Mail it looks like this. You should have 2 there:

Full Size Image

i-cubed :

In the DROP-DOWN.

Customer:

Are you saying that instead of just deleting the account I can just change the Outgoing Mail Server box in the MobileMe IMAP account from smtp.mac.com: normaemond ...

Customer:

to smtp.mail.me.com: normaemond .... ?

i-cubed :

Yes; assuming you have put in the right information when you set up the new account. Do you have 2 listings there?

Customer:

Yes. There are two listings for both accounts. It would be a matter of clicking the mail.me option. So, yes, still?

i-cubed :

Yes - click the one that uses 'smtp.mail.me.com'.

i-cubed :

Hello?

i-cubed :

I'm sorry. If you are typing something, nothing is coming through on my end. Your last response I see was @2:38 30 minutes ago.

Customer:

Yes, sorry, I had to step away for awhile. Changed the Outgoing Mail Server as you suggested and checked the "Use only this server" box. Sent myself some test emails and they're coming through okay. And I just had a friend send me an email and that worked fine, too. Don't know how to say thank you -- for your patience, perseverance, your know-how. Lots of thanks.

i-cubed :

You are welcome. Please rate my service as that is how I get credit for my work. Thank you in advance.

i-cubed, Mac Enthusiast
Experience: I've been a Mac user and admin since 2004 and a PC consultant since 1998. help.i-cubed.net