Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

My MacBook Pro switches on but the screen remains black.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Before we start, please remember these things. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers didn’t worked or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer bad/negatively (First two left Stars/Faces/Ratings are Negatives) but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied.

When did this problem started ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The problem started yesterday. I used it in the morning with no problem and switched it off as usual by clicking on Finder - Turn off.

Then when I switched it back on in the afternoon, I could hear the usual starting sound of the computer, but the screen remained black.

Can you hear any beeps ? Is this the Macbook Pro which removable or non-removable battery ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

There are no beeps, just the usual starting music. Then I can also hear Skype starting too.

It is the Macbook Pro with a removable battery. I actually changed it a few months ago.

We can reset the SMC (System Management Controller) of your Mac and see if it works or not.

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Disconnect the MagSafe power adapter from the computer, if it's connected.
  3. Remove the battery.
  4. Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.
  5. Release the power button.
  6. Reconnect the battery and MagSafe power adapter.
  7. Press the power button to turn on the computer.

Let me know if that didn't worked, so we continue troubleshooting. Don't Rate my answer until you are satisfied.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have followed all the steps but the screen still remains black.
Reset the PRAM and NVRAM of your Mac and see if it works or not.

1. Shut down your Mac
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  6. Release the keys.

Let me know if that didn't worked, so we continue troubleshooting. Don't Rate my answer until you are 100% satisfied
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The screen is still black Cry

Connect an external monitor to your Mac and also connect an external keyboard to your Mac. Then turn on your Mac and immediately close the screen. Then press enter key on your Keyboard. Does anything shows up on the external screen ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Nothing shows up on the external screen.
Then it is a hardware problem. I'm Sorry this is something we can't fix online. You have to take it to the Apple Store to get it fixed.

If you are not satisfied, please don't rate my answer bad (1 or 2 ratings are Negative). If you are not satisfied, you can close this page without rating. Let me know if you have any questions.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, thanks for your help.
You're welcome :)