i-cubed
i-cubed, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  I've been a Mac user and admin since 2004 and a PC consultant since 1998. help.i-cubed.net
56033340

Unable to open Outlook 2011 for Mac on my MacBook Air (OS X

Unable to open Outlook 2011 for Mac on my MacBook Air (OS X 10.6.8). Opens for less than a second and shuts down. Worked fine until last night, when I shut it down. Other Office 2011 programs (Word, Excel) work fine. Do you have any clues of how to fix this?

i-cubed :

Hello - this is Dennis. Most likely your Outlook's identity database needs repaired. I can forward you instructions and walk you through it.

Customer:

OK, please send me the instructions.

i-cubed :

Here is a link to the Microsoft support document - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2360509 . You can llok it over, but the actual repair involves holdtiong down your OPTION key and clicking your OUTLOOK button (step 4). Depending on how big your identity file is, it can take from 5-10 minutes. I'll be standing by.

i-cubed :

Sorry for the typos - didn't have my computer glasses on.

i-cubed :

Make sure you have every other app/program on your Mac closed down. Microsoft's repair tools are somewhat intolerant to background programs.

Customer:

Can I leave this Safari window open?

Customer:

Or should I open the instructions on another computer?

Customer:

Actually, I tried this Microsoft support instrucions, but I never get the window that says "Microsoft Database Utility" or "Main Identity".

i-cubed :

Sorry for the offline. Car accident in the family yesterday and playing phone tag with insurance agents etc. If the Microsoft database utility is not opening, the easiest way I find to run little used programs is put the programs name in SPOTLIGHT - upper left corner where the Spyglass icon is. The program is called ' Microsoft Database Utility.app'. On my Mac it is one of the options as soon as I type microsoft. You CAN double-click the SPOTLIGHT result and it will open.

Customer:

hanks, i found the Microsoft Database Utility.app

Customer:

however, I can not find the office 2011 identities, for step 3.

Is it indispensable to do a backup before rebuidling the main identity?

i-cubed :

I will say a qualified no. Before I answered this I wanted to make sure there were no issues with the utility working on my identity. It ran, copied all the info to a new database and and treated it as a backup.

i-cubed :

Hello?

i-cubed :

Are you still there?

Customer:

i-cubed, problem solved! thank you!

Customer:

i just gave you an excellent service rating

Customer:
Thank you so much for the positive rating. I hope you continue to enjoy your Mac.