John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

RA cdc

Customer Question

I am using an imac 10.6.8 and running iphoto 9.2.3
after downloading copies of slides that i scanned and saved to my desktop into iphoto the program keeps crashing whenever i try and open the new files, or any of the older picture files. what do i need to do to kep it from crashing?
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 2 years ago.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX self-employed tech, and I'm offering my time in good faith today to provide advice and information.

First, are you currently keeping backups via Time Machine?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no, i do have backups in folders on a harddrive though. i don't know about time machine.
Okay, I just want to make sure you have a backup of your iPhoto Library before we continue.

If you do not, do the following:

In the Finder, Click the "Go" menu and choose "Home"

Double-Click the Pictures folder to view it.

Locate the "iPhoto Library" and right-click (or Control-Click) on it

Choose "Duplicate" from the menu.

When the file has been duplicated, you can close the Finder window.

Then, rebuild the iPhoto Library:

1. Quit iPhoto if it is running

2. Hold down the Command and Option keys on your keyboard and start iPhoto

3. Keep the keys held down until you are prompted to rebuild the library

4. A dialog will appear with rebuild options listed; Check all the options

5. Click Rebuild

The process may take a few minutes to complete.

Once it is finished, restart your Mac and then check for improvement.

Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If you continue to have questions on this topic, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further.

Thanks and good luck,

NOTE: The site has recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional, and not other factors outside my control. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply To Expert". Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me as a working individual, so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience on this matter.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The copy note says that it is 'copying iphoto libray to pictures' that this will take about 9 hours,
do i need to wait until this is done before i go to the next step?
That would be a surprisingly long time. However, you must wait until the file has been completely duplicated to continue.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hmmmm --
now i get a message that says:

The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in “iPhoto Library” can’t be read or written.(Error code -36)

so it appears that the iphoto duplicate didn't complete -- now what do i do?
Do you have your original OS X 10.6 Install DVD available?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
somewhere, but if have to reinstall won't i loose everything on the computer?
In this case, we won't use it to re-install, only to check the hard drive for errors.

You should not receive alerts like the one above under normal circumstances. It could be a problem only with the file but it could be something more.

Insert the OS X install CD, once you find it.

Restart the computer and as soon as you hear the startup chime, press the "C" key to boot from the disc.

Choose your language and when you are sitting at the Introductory Installer screen (DO NOT INSTALL), go up to "Utilities" and choose Disk Utility.

In the left hand sidebar, choose your Mac's Hard Drive (usually Macintosh HD).

On the right hand side of the page, click "Repair Disk"

If it finds errors, repeat the process until it reports the drive is OK.

Next, click "Repair Disk Permissions"

Once the process has completed, reboot your Mac.

When you are back at the Desktop, try making a duplicate of the iPhoto Library again.

Choose "Duplicate" from the menu.

Then, rebuild the iPhoto Library:

1. Quit iPhoto if it is running

5. Click Rebuild

Thanks and good luck,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
sorry, this isn't working for me .. i took my mac into the mac shop -- the hard drive was bad, replaced it with a new one. now trying to reload programs. thanks for trying to help though.
m
No problem at all, my last procedure would have diagnosed that very problem. Glad to hear you got it all sorted out and hopefully, they were able to at least save your photos?