Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

My Iomega 80G external hard drive is no longer mounting on

Customer Question

My Iomega 80G external hard drive is no longer mounting on my IMac desktop, and when I run disk utilities, it states that there was an error code... unable to read FAT (input/output error). Then it identifies the file path that it has a problem with. How do I get this to work again?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
I'm afraid the Mac cannot repair a Windows formatted Fat32 disk. Can you erase it or do you need the data on it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I need the data. I have a lot of pictures and some video on this external drive.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Do you have a Windows computer?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I can access one tomorrow at work, if necesary.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Do you know what system the Windows machine is running?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Windows XP, Home Version.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
This tells you how to check the disk on Windows XP:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

If you can get your disk repaired and get your data off and you are only using it for Mac you should reformat it as Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

NO Answer is final, PLEASE DO NOT Rate to Finish unless this solves your problem and you are satisfied. If so then you can Accept and Rate my Service. If it does not solve your problem, please Reply to Expert and let me know, I am here until we can fix the problem.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the info on the support site. I will not know if it works until tomorrow. Sould I rate your answer now?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
You can wait if you want. Let me know
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay. Would I be able to use my order number to get back to you with an answer tomorrow?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
You can bookmark this page or go to the link in the email you receive. Good luck.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks. Will do.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
K
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Still need help?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Then I'm afraid all you can do is erase it or take it to a service that may be able to get the data off, sorry. Let me know.