John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry

I have an Iphone 4s, and I was advised by my network provider

I have an Iphone 4s, and I was advised by my network provider to backup and restore it, due to a lack of signal, I backed it up without problems, and had to leave my house to go out, when I came back, my iphone has a screen with a USB adapter, and and arrow pointing to the iTunes logo. I have connected my phone to my PC, and loaded up iTunes but my phone just won't display in iTunes or 'My Computer'
Any ways you can help?
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 2 years ago.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX self-employed tech, and I'm offering my time in good faith today to provide advice and information.

To verify, your backup completed successfully.. and then you unplugged the iPhone from the computer? Then, at a later time you were left with the current symbols on screen?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I didn't unplug it, I left it as it was, still connected to the net, and still plugged into my laptop. Then, when I came back, I have the symbols. It seems to be a complete wipe of all infomation from the phone, as if the restore was completed upto the 'delete everything' phase and it didn't reinstall anything.
Apoligies for the delay in reply, we had a huge storm just pass through my area.

The following procedure is a special firmware recovery mode (DFU). It will re-install the operating system on the iOS device (iPad, iPhone, iPod touch) and then re-sync user data once it is done.

Make sure you have downloaded and installed the latest version of iTunes before attempting this:
http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

* Open iTunes on your computer

* Connect the iOS device directly to a USB port on the computer

* Turn off the iOS device (hold down the sleep/wake button on the top) until you see the red slider and slide the red slider across to the right OR until the device simply shuts off, if locked up.

* Hold down the sleep/wake button (on the top) AND the home button (on the front) for 10 seconds

* Release the sleep/wake button but CONTINUE to hold the home button, until...

* iTunes should pop up and tell you it’s found a device in recovery mode, click ok and continue along for the restore

If it doesn’t work the 1st time, start from the beginning and try again. If iTunes *still* doesn't recognize the device, plug it into a DIFFERENT USB port and try once more.

If you receive misc errors when attempting to install/uninstall or sync after installation, try temporarily disabling any anti-virus or firewall software you may be running.

Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If you continue to have questions on this topic, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further.

Thanks and good luck,

NOTE: The site has recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional, and not other factors outside my control. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply To Expert". Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me as a working individual, so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience on this matter.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tried it, with all 5 USB ports, all 3 iphone cables I have in the house, still doesn't work. Although, the Apple Iphone USB driver reinstalled itself, no idea whats that's about.
Were you able to successfully shut the iPhone off?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, but not with the red power off slider bar, the screen just went black, and the Apple logo would come up, followed by the USB with the arrow pointing to the itunes logo.

No prompt from itunes though, and nothing in 'devices' about my phone, or 'my computer'
Did the iPhone turn itself back on or did it stay off when you shut it off?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When I connect it to itunes, whilst the phone is off, it turns 'on'

When its connected to itunes and I turn it off, it turns itself back on again. On all 3 cables.
Okay, with it connected, turn it off and try to go into the next steps before it turns itself on again (so you are holding both buttons down before it restarts on it's own):

If that still doesn't work we'll try to alternate the steps just a bit.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nothing. Now my phone doesn't even turn on. It's just completely black, regardless of what I do.
Its sounds more and more like you may have a hardware issue rather than a software problem.

However, try plugging the iPhone straight into a power outlet and then try turning it on.

If that doesn't work, press and hold your Sleep/Wake button (on the top) and Home button (on the front) together for around 10-30 seconds to see if it will reset.

If so, we can proceed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Right, holding the home and sleep/wake button turned it back on, however, the steps in the last lot of instructions didn't work. The phone stays off if I hold them both down, and release the sleep/wake button, and won't turn on unless I hold the home and sleep/wake buttons again.
Okay, let's try this slight alternative:

* Restart your computer

* Keep the iPhone disconnected from the computer (but connected to its cable) and turned OFF.

* Open iTunes on your computer

* Hold down the sleep/wake button (on the top) AND the home button (on the front) of the iPhone for 10 seconds

* Release the sleep/wake button but CONTINUE to hold the home button...

* While continuing to hold down the home button, plug the iPhone into the computer

* Continue to hold the Home button and iTunes should pop up and tell you it’s found a device in recovery mode, click ok and continue along for the restore...

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Still no pop up from itunes. My phone would start up, apple logo, and then start up again, with the apple logo straight away.
Alright, that's unfortunate. What antivirus software are you running?

Also, you've tried multiple USB ports and cables, do you have access to another computer for testing purposes?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Uhh, Norton antivirus. never had a problem with it before, and i temporarily disabled it to do the button pressing.

And no for the other computer.
Okay, assuming there are no other issues and without another computer to verify, this sounds to me as though you may have a deeper problem with the iPhone than would be typically expected.

The procedure we've been trying to make it through works at the deepest level readily accessible by an end user. If you can not complete this task then there is little else you can officially do to resolve problems such as this.

Do you have a local Apple Store that you might contact?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I do thank you, XXXXX XXXXX your help, and efforts, by the way. Glad to know it's actually a genuine fault rather than my own error..lol.
You're welcome!

This is really not the kind of thing that an end user could cause. iPhone's are usually pretty reliable and fairly easy to get back up and running - just not in this specific case, sadly.

If you need any further assistance, just let me know.

Thanks again,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I finish payment, and leave a review? Sorry!
No problem at all, you should be able to rate my service on this post. If you still have trouble, let me know and I will alert customer service.

Thanks!
John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience: 20+ years in the computer/Mac industry