Daniel, Mac Specialist
Experience:  10 Years hands on computer training

my ipod will not reset

my ipod will not reset
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for choosing Justanswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will be assisting you today.

Can you tell me which Ipod you have?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
30 gb, not a nano, has menu, forward, back, center select buttons
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
  1. Toggle the Hold switch on and off. (Slide it to Hold, then turn it off again.)
  2. Press and hold the Play/Pause and Menu buttons simultaneously until the Apple/iPod logo appears, about 6 to 8 seconds. You may need to repeat this step.

If the above steps did not work, try connecting iPod to a power adapter and plug the power adapter into an electrical outlet, or connect iPod to your computer. Make sure the computer is turned on and isn't set to go to sleep.

If you are still unable to reset your iPod, use only one finger from one hand to press the Center (Select) button, and one finger from the other hand to press the Menu button.

If this does not work let me know. Thank You

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the above is all the same things you can get from the internet and they have not worked and did not work after receiving your answer
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
You may be able to get this from the internet but that is because it is the correct steps. Did you try to plug it into the wall and doing the reset??
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
So I need a little more information here, is your ipod frozen?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it doesn't respond to the center button for moving to the next level, the up/down scroll works
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Well the next steps that you will have to take is restoring the ipod do you know how to do this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Because restoring erases all the songs and files on iPod, back up any files you've saved on the iPod disk. All of your songs, videos, podcasts, audiobooks, and games can be loaded back to your iPod provided that you have them stored in your iTunes Library.

You will want to make sure that you have the latest version of itunes. Click Here to get it.

Do you still want to go ahead with the restore.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes ,yes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
, yes ,yeswhy am i seeing a different screen for previous replys?
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Open iTunes. Connect your iPod to your computer using the USB or FireWire cable that came with your iPod.

After a few moments, your iPod will appear in the Source panel in iTunes.

Select your iPod in the Source panel. You will see information about your iPod appear in the Summary tab of the main iTunes window.

Click Restore.

If you are using a Mac, you will be asked to enter an administrator’s name and password.

A progress bar will appear on the computer screen, indicating that stage one of the restore process has begun. When this stage is done, iTunes will present one of two messages with instructions specific to the iPod model you are restoring.

Disconnect iPod and connect it to iPod Power Adapter (typically applies to older iPod models).

Leave iPod connected to computer to complete restore (typically applies newer iPod models).

During stage two of the restore process, the iPod displays an Apple logo as well as a progress bar at the bottom of the display. It is critical that the iPod remain connected to the computer or iPod power adapter during this stage.

Note: The progress bar may be difficult to see, because the backlight on the iPod display may be off.

After stage two of the restore process is complete, the iTunes Setup Assistant window will appear. It will ask you to name your iPod and choose your syncing preferences, as it did when you connected your iPod for the first time.

Remember please make sure that you have all your information backed up. I don't want you to lose your information.

Let me know if you have anymore questions. Let me know how it goes. If this works for you , please rate me so I receive credit for my time and answers. If you still need help just reply.

Thank You Dan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The restore would not complete. An error message said "The ipod restore could not be completed. An unknown error occurred (1418)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
itunes does not see the ipod. I have tried to disconnect and reconnect but the reconnect does not see the ipod.
Bud
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i've tried everything and the restore just keeps running (1.5 hours) and nothing happens. when restore is running itunes is frozen and task manager is the only way to stop it. i've received no response from the "expert" and don't have a way forward. will sign off for tonight.
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Here is a link on how to troubleshoot that error message it will go into detail on everything to try if you get that error and ipod will not restore. Please let me know if you need any further assistance.

Click Here
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

after going through the list in the above link, i did the following:

remove wireless keyboard and mouse and used hardwired versions

backedup itunes library to external hard disk

deleted itunes

reinstalled itunes

ran restore and it resulted in error 1418, bu the ipod functioned.

tried to sync ipod and got error: disk cannot be found

don't see where i got much value from your links - would not recommend your services.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the ipod seems to be working, but:

it won't sync, it won't reset, it won't restore

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for the long wait in responding to you, I am a little confused on why you gave me a negative report, when all you need to do is responded to me and let me know, none of the steps worked for you. Here is what we need to do next.

1. Try to put the iPod into Disk Mode if it fails to appear on the desktop
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93651

If none of these steps address the issue, you may need to go to Intermediate level listed below in logical order.

2. Try to connect your iPod with another computer with the iPod updater pre-installed.

3. Still can’t see your iPod, put it in Disk Mode and connect with a computer, instead of doing a Restore on iPod Updater. Go and format the iPod instead.

After you tried these trouble shooting steps on your iPod to no avail after all the steps above, chances are your iPod has a hardware problem. Let me know, just reply and I will give you more steps. Please do not give me another negative, we can continue to troubleshoot this.

Thank You Dan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dan;

Thanks for the addional info.

I'm not goung to be addressing the ipod issue today.

Can I continue tomorrow?

In looking at the info - what do I do with the ipod when it's in the disk mode. Obviously, the reset function will have worked to get to that point, but what's next? - Restore?

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
You will format the ipod in disk mode, here are the steps, you didn't tell me if you had a windows or mac computer. So I am sending you both, so we don't have to wait on replies.

For Mac computer
1. Open the disk utility, hope your iPod appears there (left hand side), highlight it
2. Go to Tab “Partition”, click either “Delete” or “Partition”, if fails, skip this step and go to 3
3. Go to Tab “Erase” , choose Volume Format as “MAC OS Extended (Journaled), and click Erase, again if fails, skip it and go to 4
4. Same as step 3, but open the “Security Options....” and choose “Zero Out Data” before click Erase. It will take 1 to 2 hours to complete.
5. Eject your iPod and do a Reset
6. Open the iTunes 7 and click “Restore”

For Window computer
Go to folder “My Computer”
Hope you can see your iPod there and right click on the iPod
Choose “Format”. Ensure the settings are at “Default” and that “Quick Format” is not checked
Now select “Format”
Eject your iPod and do a Reset
Open the iTunes 7 and click “Restore”

Let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the ipod did reset and then did sync with itunes, without restore or going to disk mode. i must still reflect a dissatisfaction with your service. everything you sent me were links i had already got from the internet and they didn't work. i expected you to have a "magic bullet" to solve the issue, but all you fed me were links i had already accessed.
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
The only reason that they are links that you can get is because those are the Correct Ways too fix the issues you were having with you ipod. I will glad give you a refund if you just retract the negative rating. I would rather not get paid then have a negative report on my rating. I don't understand if you need more help all you need to do is reply and I would have continued to help you. If you didn't think that I was helping then all need to do is let me know and I would have gladly opt out and let another expert take over this, but I guarantee they would have given you the same information because it is the correct information to give. Please look into your heart and retract the negative rating it hurts a huge amount on this job. Thank You Dan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dan;

A refund or partial refund is in order for this activity. This has not been my experience with dealing with a third party to resolve an issue for an electronic device. If you want a different rating, please tell mr where.

Bud

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Just re-rate me on the next answer here. This will change it, I thank you a huge amount.

Thank You Dan
Daniel, Mac Specialist
Experience: 10 Years hands on computer training