MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
15556539

I have a Macbook Pro and use Mac Mail. Suddenly since two

I have a Macbook Pro and use Mac Mail. Suddenly since two days ago I cannot Send any emails although I receive them fine.
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 2 years ago.

MacTechTrainer :

Hello and thank you for asking your question, with JustAnswer.com/Mac. I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, Terry, glad to assist you.

MacTechTrainer :

what email service do you use with Mac Mail?

Customer:

Shaw Canada

MacTechTrainer :

Are you able to provide me what the incoming and outgoing mail server addresses are for your Shaw email service?

Customer:

Yes - for both they are shawmail.cg.shawcable.net These were the new incoming and outgoing addresses suggested this morning by Shaw. Still no joy.

MacTechTrainer :

Ok let me delve a bit further for you in this matter

MacTechTrainer :

I will be with you shortly

MacTechTrainer :

thanks@!

Customer:

This is very weird. I have also (at the same time I started not being able to send messages) lost all the messages from my Sent Mailbox. Everything else is intact in my other mailboxes. Don't forget to get back to me please.

MacTechTrainer :

I can't forget you

MacTechTrainer :

this is a live session

MacTechTrainer :

Thanks for your patience

MacTechTrainer :

what I am going to need you to do is to make sure the Mail application is launched

MacTechTrainer :

then go up near the upper left corner of your screen and select the Mail name

MacTechTrainer :

then Preferences from the drop down list

MacTechTrainer :

once in Preference go to Accounts and let me know when you are there

Customer:

I am there

MacTechTrainer :

ok, before I go further,

MacTechTrainer :

can you tell me if you have any mailboxes or smart mailboxes created within your Shaw email account?

MacTechTrainer :

within the Mac OS X Mail application's inbox I mean

Customer:

I have some Mailboxes but no Smart mailboxes created.

MacTechTrainer :

thanks for confirming that

MacTechTrainer :

and within your Mac Mail Accounts view

MacTechTrainer :

do you see the correct incoming AND outgoing mail addresses for Shaw?

Customer:

Yes - I do see the correct addresses for Shaw. As did Shaw when they checked this. They did not think it was their problem.

MacTechTrainer :

That is the funny part

MacTechTrainer :

I will tell you why

MacTechTrainer :

when it comes to incoming mail and outgoing mail server addresses

MacTechTrainer :

as long as the mail server addresses are correct from the mail service provider within a Mail client application like Mac OS X Mail

MacTechTrainer :

that means the issue does lie with the email service's mail servers

MacTechTrainer :

not your Mac

MacTechTrainer :

or the Mac OS X Mail application

Customer:

So --- what now? Are you suggesting I go back to Shaw??

MacTechTrainer :

Not.. just yet

MacTechTrainer :

they just sent you seeking

MacTechTrainer :

I could not just do that without proving that this is a server side issue regarding their service for you

MacTechTrainer :

and I am not implying that they are wrong - it is just from my experience working with Mac Mail and email services, more times than not, what I mentioned above is the case

MacTechTrainer :

now if you would - and thanks for being so patient- I need to provide some steps for you to see if this is a Mac OS X mail issue

Customer:

OK

MacTechTrainer :

What I need you to do first is go to:

MacTechTrainer :

webmail.shaw.ca

MacTechTrainer :

I want you to access the webmail version first because this is the direct link to Shaw's outgoing mail servers

MacTechTrainer :

then I want you to send an email from within your account to a different email account

MacTechTrainer :

this is a test to see if the direct web mail for Shaw's outgoing mail server works first

Customer:

yes - it works sending from Shaw webmail. I sent two messages - both fine.

MacTechTrainer :

Ok in that case I want you to go back into Mail >Preferences >Accounts

MacTechTrainer :

and remove the Shaw email account

MacTechTrainer :

then press the "+" plus symbol below and re-add the email account right back into Mail

MacTechTrainer :

Then attempt to send out an email to a different account and check that account to see if it receives that email

Customer:

I delete my email account (XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX) and then type +XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX?? Just checking.

MacTechTrainer :

Correct

MacTechTrainer :

sorry I cannot see your email as our service is set to automatically "X" out emails due to consideration of you privacy

MacTechTrainer :

because these chat sessions are used as information resources on the Internet via the search engines like Google, Yahoo! Bing and many other search engine

MacTechTrainer :

services

Customer:

OK -- I understand. I wish we could be on the phone. This is so slow. I have taken out my email address and then typed it back in prefixed with the + sign. No luck. It doesn't send.

MacTechTrainer :

Me too

MacTechTrainer :

but we are only able to use chat and email services

MacTechTrainer :

Oh no

MacTechTrainer :

I am sorry

MacTechTrainer :

You don't need to prefix the + sign

MacTechTrainer :

I misunderstood what you were asking

MacTechTrainer :

you go into the Accounts screen where you are click the + button at the bottom of the Accounts window

MacTechTrainer :

in order to re-add your same Shaw email

MacTechTrainer :

that is what I meant

MacTechTrainer :

sorry about that

Customer:

OK -- I am trying to set up my new account. Do I delete the POP account I had previously?

MacTechTrainer :

Yes

Customer:

If I delete the original POP account I will lose the contents of all my email folders and their contents. I don't want to do that unless ....

MacTechTrainer :

You want to start fresh re-entering the same email account ..

MacTechTrainer :

you did mention you had mailboxes - I stand corrected

Customer:

OK will do.

MacTechTrainer :

In that case I want you to not remove the email

MacTechTrainer :

but instead, I want you to try another alternative step

MacTechTrainer :

is that ok?

Customer:

I am in such a muddle now. I have deleted the original POP account. I have set up a new one (using the + at the bottom of the page). Shaw will not accept my new password (no explanation). What now?

MacTechTrainer :

That's ok - I am not going to leave you in a muddle

MacTechTrainer :

all of your emails are still on the Shaw server

MacTechTrainer :

so you are ok there

MacTechTrainer :

now in regards XXXXX XXXXX email account password

MacTechTrainer :

it is the same email that password XXXXX you were able to get into your webmail for Shaw?

Customer:

It asked me to change my username and password. It seems to accept the new username but not the password. I could try to set it up again I suppose and try a different username and the same password?

MacTechTrainer :

There is nothing wrong with that as long as you are comfortable with doing so

MacTechTrainer :

Just keep me in the loop

MacTechTrainer :

I am not letting go of this case until you are able to send out mail as well as receive it from your Shaw account

MacTechTrainer :

I also understand why you are diligently working on this, because Mac OS X Mail like any email client makes it much easier to access mail accounts in one application, rather than going online via web mail all the time

MacTechTrainer :

I do the same thing--

MacTechTrainer :

I have also had to unfortunately do what you are doing now with some of my email accounts as well

MacTechTrainer :

and I don't have a Shaw account

MacTechTrainer :

so I understand the challenge you are having here

Customer:

everything seems to be OK except that my new Pop account won't accept either my old password XXXXX a new one. Should I delete that second POP account and give it one more try?

Customer:

What is all this costing me?

MacTechTrainer :

Nothing right now

MacTechTrainer :

and if this is NOT resolved

MacTechTrainer :

you are definitely able to get a refund

MacTechTrainer :

of your deposit

MacTechTrainer :

we do not get compensated unless you accept any of our answers

MacTechTrainer :

and right now that is the furthest thing from my tech mine

MacTechTrainer :

"mind"

Customer:

Should I try setting up a new POP account again. If that doesn't work I will call it off as this is so frustrating. I need to be able to talk to someone. We could be here til midnight. Where are you located?

MacTechTrainer :

I was about to ask you the same thing

MacTechTrainer :

I am in California- Pacific time

MacTechTrainer :

and you?

Customer:

I am in Alberta, Western Canada.

MacTechTrainer :

what is your time zone in Alberta?

Customer:

Mountain Standard -- it is 3:25pm - you are an hour behind us. Shall I try a new POP account?

MacTechTrainer :

Yes please do

MacTechTrainer :

And may I have the pleasure of your first name?

MacTechTrainer :

again I am Terry, Sr. Mac Support Specialist, glad to be assisting you here

Customer:

Rita -- I am an old dude - 68! Generally I do OK with the tech stuff but this is really weird. I will have another go with a POP account. Thanks Terry.

MacTechTrainer :

Hi Rita- and it is MY pleasure to help you

MacTechTrainer :

I actually love working with my Sr. Customers even more because I have always been taught to respect AND take care of my elders in any capacity I can

MacTechTrainer :

so guess what?

MacTechTrainer :

You have this tech at your disposal!

MacTechTrainer :

who says being older does not come with benefits ;)

MacTechTrainer :

my wife is the same way I am

MacTechTrainer :

so I am not alone

MacTechTrainer :

so now getting back to your issue here Rita

MacTechTrainer :

this is not the first, or last send issue with Shaw's email system

MacTechTrainer :

I do not understand why it is so difficult when working with Mac systems

MacTechTrainer :

but Shaw has not been able to provide answers sufficient to resolve the matter - so that is why you are speaking to me

MacTechTrainer :

So tell me now Rita,

MacTechTrainer :

where are you in the process?

MacTechTrainer :

have you been able to access your email account yet?

Customer:

I have tried setting up another POP account and again I cannot get it to accept a password. So I can't access anything. I will just try webmail again and see if that is still OK.

MacTechTrainer :

Please do

MacTechTrainer :

and I will also be mindful of your time here Rita

MacTechTrainer :

if this starts pushing over 30 more minutes

MacTechTrainer :

we can also reconvene again later

MacTechTrainer :

I don't want to burn you out on this issue

Customer:

Webmail works. Sorry - but I am done for now. I can't stay online any longer. Thanks for trying.

MacTechTrainer :

would you like to continue with me tomorrow?

MacTechTrainer :

Perhaps I can provide some additional options, which may even work better than mac OS X Mail

MacTechTrainer :

like Thunderbird Mail Client for Mac

MacTechTrainer :

or Zimbra Desktop for Mac, to name a few

MacTechTrainer :

I have more options you and I can work to get you some peace on this issue

MacTechTrainer :

and I won't give up until you tell me to

Customer:

Maybe. But I am out a lot. Vacation here for Canada Day. This mail software has worked for years. I'll see. Let me know how to contact you. Or whatever

MacTechTrainer :

Simple.

MacTechTrainer :

just bookmark this page in your current web browser

Customer:

OK will do.

MacTechTrainer :

that way, you can always come back to that bookmark and enter this session

MacTechTrainer :

AND

MacTechTrainer :

even send a post to me and I will be alerted even if I am offline

Experience: Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years