Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over a decade putting the missing byte back into Apple. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

All my laptops running windows (7 Home Basic, XP, XP Pro) are

Customer Question

All my laptops running windows (7 Home Basic, XP, XP Pro) are infected with the FLAME virus (out of date/untrusted certificates - can't get on the internet - can't update.....) So I tried to save a couple of programs (MBAM, CCCleaner) on a CD or a thumb-drive with my Mac. But when I open the Disk Drive on a windows laptop I see the MAC OSX underscore DOT __. before the file. Any Tricks of te Trade to share?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
Welcome To JustAnswer!

My name is Dustin, And I am one of the Experts who will assist you today!

Yes.. Lets try some windows tricks on your xp and windows 7 comps..

Lets focus on the XP comps first..

Try this.
Please shut down the computer,

Then, start the computer and immediately start tapping the F8 Key. It should give you a list of startup options.

The first option we want to try is " Safe mode with networking"

This will put us in safe mode. ****Important** windows xp, has a hidden admin account.. Safe mode should ask you if you want to enter the hidden admin account.. It will be called only ADMINISTRATOR

If you can see it and log into it in safe mode with networking let me know.

If you can reach teh internet in safe with networking , let me know.

Will be standing by.. Thanks!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
if you don't mind starting with the 7 home basic it happens to be running and I'm afraid i'm gonna lose files I THINK I backed up (copy & paste) onto an external HD (Passport Essential)
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
Ok.

Were you able to get 7 home basic loaded into safe mode with networking?

If not.. Please try to do so..

Please shut down the computer,

This will put us in safe mode.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Not 2 be Pain in the $%$# but can we talk about how to confirm I don't lose these "life or death" (no foolin") files?
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
Yes.. The safe mode method im talking about..

Wont erase the files.. And it should allow us to access the computer in order to save those files..

I wont suggest anything that has any possibility of erasing files without clearly in bold letters saying this may erase xxxxxx ..

So.. Can we log into safe mode on the windows 7 machine?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You raise your right hand and swear to the bold letters heads-up and we've got a deal D. - By the way what branch of the military?
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
US Army Airborne, stationed at Fort Bragg home of the 18th abn corp.. ( 101st, 10th Mountain, 82nd)

I swear , that I wont tell you to do anything that will erase your files.. Untill we have made a full backup of the files and covered all possible ways to do so..!

So.. can we get that windows 7 machine to sign in this way?

Please shut down the computer,

This will put us in safe mode.

**Note** if at any time it mentions doing a system recovery, or reinstalling windows, or any other abnormal messages your not used to.. Stop, and send me a reply.. So we can discuss the next route to take.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
1st - We should get in SM w/ NW like flynn - i was in safe mode already - There is one abnormal thing you should know before we start - I found this funny file in My
Documents after the back up - "Wiatrace" - says its a 1 page 25.0KB Word Doc- but when I checked properties earlier it said it had a few thousand files and 86 folders - looked it up (wiatrace i mean) and looks like a monster that people can't get out of its cage ....until they have a clean slate...to slaughter
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
Well, it depends if wia trace is being exploited by a virus.. ( which in your case it may be )

Or if wiatrace is just a natural log file.

For now.. Lets run my favorite free antivirus sweep.

Hitman pro.. This is far superior to norton, and mcafee, and Ive had much greater success with it on removing viruses.

Lets run it, and see what it finds and removes.

click the link below

http://www.surfright.nl/en/hitmanpro

Download the hitman pro software.. Then install it.. Then run the software.

Have it do a one time scan.. when it finds any problems, once its done have it remove them by clicking next.

It may askyou to activate the free 30 day license before it will remove the malicious items.

Afterwards, restart the computer.

**note** hitman will not delete any of your files you dont have backed up.. Documents, spreadsheets, photos, videos, music, etc.

Its only going to target bad stuff in your system.

let me know if you can or cant get it to run, and what it finds.. Thanks!

** since this has the potential to help, I have to send it as an answer.. Please wait to rate the service though till we have made some headway.**
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry - urgent matter - D, if Windows can't communicate with the device or resource (primary DNS server) why would safe mode with networking act
any differently?
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
My apologies for the delay in getting back to you.. I was offline on the 4th 5th and 6th..

Just logged in today and seen your message.

The reason why safe mode with networking may work, where as regular mode does not.. Is that sometimes safe mode disables a portion of the virus, sometimes enough that you can resume internet communication ( dns servers, tcp protocols, etc )

Not sure if you ever tried the steps ? ( safe mode, then hitman pro)