Dustin, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  4 Years in the US Military working with Mac's and networking equipment
19897260

I just connected my iPhone to my MacBook Pro (OS 10.6.8) and

I just connected my iPhone to my MacBook Pro (OS 10.6.8) and opened iPhoto. Normally when I do this, iPhoto finds my iPhone and starts loading thumbnails of everything available on my iPhone. Today however, July 1, 2012, iPhoto finds my phone and there are white-dashed-outlines where thumbnails would be normally, but the thumbnails are not loading in and I can't double click on any of the outlined placeholders and get images that way either. Finally, if I click on one of the white-dashed-outlines and click 'Import', a message comes up saying "The following file could not be imported (the file is an unrecognized format)," even though the file name show in the box below this message appears to be a standard JPEG -- example 'IMG_1530.JPG'

Does this have anything to do with the iCloud switch. I have not upgraded my MacBook Pro to Lion yet because I have video editing software that is supposed to have major problems under Lion and I've been advised not to upgrade my MacBook Pro yet, even though I switched to iCloud on my iPad and iPhone.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Welcome To JustAnswer!

My name isXXXXX am one of the Experts who will assist you today!

This may not be due to the Icloud switch.. Question though, did this issue start occuring immediately after you did the icloud switch on your ipad & iphone?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I noticed it first today, but haven't tried downloading anything from my iPhone for several days prior. I downloaded a few photos several days ago.

Also, FYI, if I go to my camera roll on my iPhone, I can still see thumbnails of all of the images and movies, including a few photos that I took last night.
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
So your saying that on your iphone itself.. You have no issues viewing your pictures?

Assuming thats correct, lets try this as a first attempt at repair.. Disconnect your iphone and ipad from your mac. Then.. Run this repair.

To open Disk Utility, from the Applications folder, open Utilities, and then double-click the Disk Utility icon.

In the column on the left, click your startup disk.

Click the First Aid tab, and then click Repair Disk Permissions. Disk Utility will reset any files and folders with incorrect settings.

Once complete, Fully shut down the mac.. Start it, and now try to import your photos again.. Do they still show white boxes? ( they shouldnt)

if you run into any issues completing these steps or if they do not work, please send me a reply so I can continue to assist you.. Thanks!

D.Sandlin
Dustin, Mac Enthusiast
Experience: 4 Years in the US Military working with Mac's and networking equipment
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. That solved the problem.