MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years

Cannot get the MJPlus to install on my MacBookPro running 10.7.4

Customer Question

Cannot get the MJPlus to install on my MacBookPro running 10.7.4 on a 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5. I looks like it's loading, gets ALMOST to the end and says it cannot complete the install because it's already in progress?
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 1 year ago.

MacTechTrainer :

Hello and thank you for asking your question, with JustAnswer.com/Mac. I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, Terry, glad to assist you.

JACUSTOMER-mb60fk38- :

SO - what can I do to get the MJP to work on my MacBookPro?

MacTechTrainer :

So tell me if you would, have you already attempted multiple times to install the MagicJack Plus software?

JACUSTOMER-mb60fk38- :

Yes sir

MacTechTrainer :

and it keeps getting stuck with the progress bar as you have noted?

JACUSTOMER-mb60fk38- :

Yes sir

JACUSTOMER-mb60fk38- :

Hangs saying it can't complete the install because it's already in progress

MacTechTrainer :

Wow

MacTechTrainer :

I just checked your "already tried"

MacTechTrainer :

and the MJPlus works just fine on Windows 7

JACUSTOMER-mb60fk38- :

Yeah - MJP says it's related to the new update, they don't support OS above 10.6.8

MacTechTrainer :

but not so on Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

MacTechTrainer :

and believe it or not, I knew it was a software issue because MJ tends to be real slow unfortunately when it comes to updating its software to work on Macs

JACUSTOMER-mb60fk38- :

Absolutely correct on all fronts....

MacTechTrainer :

so that is why the progress bar will never go forward

MacTechTrainer :

in Lion until THEY update their software

MacTechTrainer :

\

JACUSTOMER-mb60fk38- :

So far you've just told me what I already knew........

MacTechTrainer :

which I know is a pain to you because it works great on Win 7

MacTechTrainer :

exactly

MacTechTrainer :

because I must be honest

MacTechTrainer :

and I know this product too well

MacTechTrainer :

your only recourse from the Mac side

JACUSTOMER-mb60fk38- :

So far not a $58 solution my friend

MacTechTrainer :

let me finish if you don't mind :)

MacTechTrainer :

I don't care about payment right now

MacTechTrainer :

that is also always refundable

MacTechTrainer :

what I am focusing on, is getting results

MacTechTrainer :

with what options that are available

MacTechTrainer :

so don't worry, you simply have just a deposit on your card on hold- you have not paid for this any answers yet

MacTechTrainer :

So what I was going to say, was Magic Jack is telling Lion 10.7 customers

MacTechTrainer :

pretty much that they will have to revert back to 10.6 Snow Leopard in order to use their product

MacTechTrainer :

which is I definitely understand- not a good thing to know

MacTechTrainer :

but they have a responsibility to you as a Mac OS X 10.7 customer to update their software

MacTechTrainer :

otherwise, you are not going to be able to use the MJPlus on your Mac computer with Lion installed I'm afraid

MacTechTrainer :

that is all I wanted to tell you

MacTechTrainer :

This is not a satisfactory answer, I admit

JACUSTOMER-mb60fk38- :

Still waiting respectfully....... for the "results" part of the chat you were promising earlier

MacTechTrainer :

but we are only as effective as the product you need assistance with and what they can offer when it comes to software and OS compatibility

JACUSTOMER-mb60fk38- :

SO - to the best of your knowledge, no "techie" work around of the problem at this point? No way to install this as a Windows device on the Parallels side of the intel processor and ignore the 10.7 complications.....

MacTechTrainer :

You were thinking just as I was about the Virtual Desktop software option

MacTechTrainer :

of which I happen to be a specialist of as well

MacTechTrainer :

and that would be either Parallels or VMWare Fusion

MacTechTrainer :

and yes you would have to still go Windows 7- and that would be the only way you could do it

MacTechTrainer :

but I was not sure if you would want to do that because you already have a Win 7 computer

MacTechTrainer :

Now will add, that I have attempted to install Snow Leopard 10.6 in my VMWare Fusion virtual desktop software

MacTechTrainer :

before, but it did not work

MacTechTrainer :

but I was able to get 10.6.8 Snow Leopard server successfully installed,

MacTechTrainer :

but I have never tried it on Parallels- and I have both virtual software applications

MacTechTrainer :

so tell me, do you have Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, that you may be able to try with your copy of Parallels?

JACUSTOMER-mb60fk38- :

It's a Windows PC not a laptop, so it doesn't travel with me. I have moved to Abu Dhabi and hadn't planned to take the PC with me. I have the Parallels Desktop in place, no copy of Snow Leopard I'm aware of

MacTechTrainer :

bear with me for a moment if you would

MacTechTrainer :

I want to see if there is anything that I could add to simplify this for you

JACUSTOMER-mb60fk38- :

Running out of time - 45 minutes into this...... We may need to reconvene. I'm heading to a wedding soon and will be tied up the rest of the afternoon and evening. Feel free to email me a solution if you get one. XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX. I'll leave the session unrated for now as I'm leaving with no more information than I started with!

MacTechTrainer :

That is fine

MacTechTrainer :

just bookmark this page in your web browser

MacTechTrainer :

so you can come back to this session and i will be glad to assist you further

MacTechTrainer :

as I can. Please keep in mind your MJPlus does not support 10.7 Lion, and what I have found is that Parallels as well as VMWare Fusion for Mac only allow Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Server to be installed as a virtual desktop terminal and not the standard user copy of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard

MacTechTrainer :

so the only steps you can take in this manner are limited to installing a Parallels Windows 7 virtual desktop on your Mac for potential use with your MJPlus

MacTechTrainer :

OR

MacTechTrainer :

Downgrading your Mac to Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard

MacTechTrainer :

Finally, this information is limited only because of the limitations of the MJPlus software so please do not hold us accountable for what MagicJack is responsible for updating with their MJPlus product.

MacTechTrainer :

thank you.

Customer :

Not satisfied because you provided me with no new information and did not provide me with a solution to the problem. We spent over 45 minutes on the phone and you just repeated what I already knew......you yourself made the comment that it was an unsatisfactory answer.

Customer :

I agree with your assessment. You were pleasant enough, but not helpful.

MacTechTrainer :

Thank you for your candid response and thought into this matter- I do understand we provided you no new information and I can answer that for you out of honesty and with respect to you as a valued customer to us regardless- there will be cases like this where even we, with our extensive knowledgebase of resources and experience are going to be limited due to the restrictions that come with the software and hardware requirements from hardware manufacturers and software developers.

MacTechTrainer :

So in response to your feedback, when you already know a manufacturer or software maker whose product you are trying to use, has already been confirmed as not compatible, it is ok to look for workarounds. But I can tell you from my experience as a veteran IT specialist in this industry many years--

MacTechTrainer :

As a user it would be more to your benefit to not have your hopes built too far above the bar that you will always get resolution , because more times than not, when it is an issue of system compatibility hardware or software - that can be a very tall hurdle to cross successfully

MacTechTrainer :

I would be remiss if I did not give you this insight from a technician's perspective, so you can understand moving forward, that services like JustAnswer,com are always still strive to work very hard to assist you with your inquiries-- but we as Experts have to provide you real answers; not facsimiles of what we hope to think you can do--

MacTechTrainer :

Thank you again for allowing me to attempt to assist you here and we appreciate, despite the unfortunate answer, you coming to us for your initial question.

MacTechTrainer :

Kindest Regards,

MacTechTrainer :

Terry ("The MacTechTrainer")

MacTechTrainer :

Sr. Mac Support Specialist