MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
15556539

I have an older (6 yrs) iMac and have always used a wired internet/phone

I have an older (6 yrs) iMac and have always used a wired internet/phone modem. I have just switched to Cable TV from my Dish (dropped AMC) but don't have it yet. I ordered a wireless modem for internet/phone but now I'm wondering if I can do that with my iMac ~ do I need to set up a "wireless network"? How? Is there any hardware I might be missing?
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 2 years ago.

MacTechTrainer :

Hello and thank you for asking your question, with JustAnswer.com/Mac. I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, Terry, glad to assist you.

Customer:

Hi ~ I'm Janet. Not even sure what to ask!

MacTechTrainer :

What type of wireless modem (brand and model) did you order for your wireless network?

MacTechTrainer :

Its ok Jane:)

MacTechTrainer :

I will help you here

Customer:

Don't know, it will be rented from Cable One.

MacTechTrainer :

Ok so that wireless modem is going to be your way to connect to the Internet from Cable One- is this correct?

Customer:

Yes, and phone. I am ultimately hoping my Wii, and therefore Netflix, will work on wireless.

MacTechTrainer :

They will

MacTechTrainer :

do you have more than just the iMac in your soon-to-be home wireless network Jane, or is it just the iMac?

Customer:

just the iMac ~ if you don't mean printer

MacTechTrainer :

Actually it is good to know you have a printer as well

MacTechTrainer :

is the printer going to be hooked up regularly to your iMac?

Customer:

yes?

MacTechTrainer :

I am asking, because if that is the case, you should be good to go

MacTechTrainer :

As long as you have an wireless card built into your iMac

MacTechTrainer :

and I know you do

MacTechTrainer :

it is called the Airport Extreme Wireless card

MacTechTrainer :

and it will allow your imac to communicate with your new Cable One wireless modem

MacTechTrainer :

so you can connect with your imac wirelessly to your new network

Customer:

Oh, I have an external hard drive also. Let me look for the wireless card

MacTechTrainer :

to check for the wireless card in your Mac, Jane,

MacTechTrainer :

just click on the black Apple menu icon in the upper left corner of your screen and select About this Mac

MacTechTrainer :

then select the More Info button

MacTechTrainer :

that will take you into what we call "System Profiler"

MacTechTrainer :

which allows you to view all devices and connections on your iMac

MacTechTrainer :

including the wireless card

Customer:

Well, can't seem to find that ~ is it under Ethernet?

MacTechTrainer :

try there

MacTechTrainer :

I cannot see from my PC computer here, but you can be my eyes

Customer:

OK, I see it. So I should be good to go? I know the cable installer will not touch my computer and I don't know what settings might be necessary, if any?

MacTechTrainer :

Once the new wireless modem is connected in your home network and goes live

MacTechTrainer :

your AirPort card in your Mac should be able to discover that new modem

MacTechTrainer :

and allow you to connect to the Internet

MacTechTrainer :

your cable installer person should be able to make sure that happens before he leaves

MacTechTrainer :

if not

MacTechTrainer :

I want you to bookmark this web page

MacTechTrainer :

in your web browser

MacTechTrainer :

so if you need ME to help you set that up with the new modem

MacTechTrainer :

I will be glad to do that for you

MacTechTrainer :

but this should be an easy connection, once the wireless modem is connected

MacTechTrainer :

because then, like I was explaining, the iMac should find the wireless modem connection

MacTechTrainer :

and connect you to the Internet-

MacTechTrainer :

I will just be an "insurance" for you

MacTechTrainer :

to make sure that does happen Jane!

MacTechTrainer :

:)

Customer:

Thank you! I understand now what will happen and you are bookmarked just in case. Think we are done for now ~ thank you!

MacTechTrainer :

excellent

MacTechTrainer :

If you are satisfied that I have resolved your question to your satisfaction, please feel free to rate my service. We always like to know how our customers feel about our services, in an effort to continue improving our already high standards of good answers and customer service.

MacTechTrainer :

Finally, I thank you very much for allowing me to assist you.

MacTechTrainer :

Keep in mind also, when you Accept an answer, it does not mean the session is over, especially if the issue you received support from me, re-occurs once again.

MacTechTrainer :

Otherwise, if all is well , then there is no need to return. Should you desire to err on the side of caution, however, you are always welcome to bookmark this session so you can come back to this session and alert me.

Experience: Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years