Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

i downloaded an update to I-photo and now it will not open

Customer Question

i downloaded an update to I-photo and now it will not open - it just shows Step 5 - 97 % complete and then it sticks there - it means I can 't get into iPhoto at all.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Before we start, please remember these things. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers didn’t worked or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer bad/negatively (First two left Stars/Faces/Ratings are Negatives) but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied.

What version of Mac OS X are you using ? What version of iPhoto is this ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
mac os x version 10.7.4

i photo 9.3 - I updated my software generally but it gets stuck at Step 5 of 9 - 97 % complete - it will not move from there
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Do you have the iLife installation discs or did you purchased it from AppStore or is your iPhoto came with that version with your Mac ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i can't recall - this was a general software update i loaded along with other updates
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Is your Mac came with Mac OS X 10.7 Lion preinstalled ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
In your Mac, goto Applications folder and trash the iPhoto from there. Don't empty the trash. Then open AppStore application from Applications folder. Select Purchased tab and reinstall iPhoto from there.

Let me know if that didn't worked, so we continue troubleshooting. Don't Rate my answer until you are 100% satisfied.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it did not work - stalls again at Step 5 _ 97% complete
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Download and install this update : http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1514

Does that worked ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it says iPhoto 9.1.0 or later is required to install this update.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Update to iPhoto 9.1 using this update : http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1322
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
when I try to install the update it says "I photo update can't be installed on this disk (i.e. the hard drive). I photo 9.0 or laters is required to install this update.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Did you redownloaded iPhoto from AppStore after trashing from Applications folder ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes,yes
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Trash again and then redownload it. Then before opening iPhoto, turn off internet connection. Then hold down Option key on your Keyboard and click on Go menu and select Library. From the resulting Finder window, open Preferences folder and trash com.apple.iPhoto.plist

Then open iPhoto. Is it still updating ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
which is the options key - I am on a macbook pro and don't know which key you are referring to ?,

Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Open Key is the alt key next to Control key in the left bottom.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
done all of that - still have the same issue stops at step 5 at 97% complete
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
I think your iPhoto Library is updating, not the iPhoto Application. We can try to rebuild your iPhoto Library and see if that works or not..

1. Quit iPhoto if it is open.
  2. Hold down the Command and Option keys on the keyboard.
  3. Open iPhoto.
  4. Keep the keys held down until you are prompted to rebuild the library.
  5. A dialog will appear with rebuild options. Select all the options/checkboxes
  6. Click Rebuild to begin the rebuild process. This may take a few minutes to complete.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it has rebuilt but there are many events that are empty - it has not restored many of the pictures - what can I do to restore ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Rebuild your iPhoto Library with this application, iPhoto Library Manager (just try the trial version) : http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/

Please follow the instructions in here to rebuild your iPhoto Library with iPhoto Library Manager : http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/Help/rebuilding%20a%20corrupted%20iphoto%20library.html

Does that worked ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
I'm going offline, it is very late in here (almost 2:00 AM) and need to get some sleep. If that didn't worked, please post a reply and I will get back to you ASAP