MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years

Hi guys ... I have a new iPhone but cant synch it with my

Customer Question

Hi guys ... I have a new iPhone but can't synch it with my library, which sits on an external drive. I have tried going into "Edit > preferences > advanced, and specified teh location of my iTunes files. Then tried to synch, but nothing transferred from my library to teh iPhone. pulling hair out! Grateful if you have any ideas.
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 2 years ago.

MacTechTrainer :

Hello and thank you for asking your question, with JustAnswer.com/Mac. I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, Terry, glad to assist you.

MacTechTrainer :

HAs a professional Mac technician, I like to take more of a personable, personal approach, toward helping any valued JustAnswer.com customers, I am fortunate to assist.

MacTechTrainer :

On that note, may I start by asking your first name?

MacTechTrainer :

("As" -sorry)

Customer :

peter

MacTechTrainer :

Greetings Peter and pleasure to assist you. Again, I am Terry, Sr. Mac Support Specialist, at you service

MacTechTrainer :

so tell me if you would, when you attempt to sync your iPhone with your library which as you noted is on your external hard drive,

Customer :

Thanks Terry .... have you come across this problem before?

MacTechTrainer :

what happens when you attempt to access the library?

MacTechTrainer :

any distinct error message?

Customer :

I can see my entire library on my PC... it just doesn't copy across to my iphone when I try to synch it.

MacTechTrainer :

One moment if you would Peter, let me check into this for you--

Customer :

thanks

MacTechTrainer :

anytime!

MacTechTrainer :

Now Peter, are you attempting to use your external hard drive as the main location for iTunes, in order to save space on your internal computer hard drive?

Customer :

exactly

Customer :

by the way ... it all worked fine until I updated the iphone software ... which wiped all my music (on teh iphone)

MacTechTrainer :

thanks for confirming that

MacTechTrainer :

let me check some more details regarding this issue

MacTechTrainer :

be right with you

Customer :

ok

MacTechTrainer :

Peter, I have something I want you to try something for trial

Customer :

ok

MacTechTrainer :

first, how large is your complete iTunes folder on your hard drive?

Customer :

39.3GB

MacTechTrainer :

and what version of Windows OS are you using on your computer at this time

Customer :

just checking ... I think it might be a bit old (2003)

MacTechTrainer :

Vista maybe?

Customer :

can I get this onfo from my control panel?

MacTechTrainer :

yes-

MacTechTrainer :

from System in Control Panel

Customer :

there it is .. windows xp

MacTechTrainer :

Got it.

MacTechTrainer :

Now what I would like for you to do at this time, again just for trial

MacTechTrainer :

reboot your XP system

MacTechTrainer :

then I want you to reset your iPhone by pressing and holding down both the Sleep button (top of iPhone) and the Home Menu button (located at bottom middle of iPhone) for approximately 10 seconds

MacTechTrainer :

or until the screen goes black

MacTechTrainer :

and then release both buttons and allow the iPhone to boot back up

MacTechTrainer :

once your PC has been rebooted back to the desktop

MacTechTrainer :

and the iPhone has been rebooted, I want you to connect it to your PC and try to sync again

MacTechTrainer :

let me know what happens

MacTechTrainer :

play-by-play if you can

Customer :

OK, can do ... but how do I get back in contact with you?

Customer :

Oh ... I only reboot the iphone, NOT the PC

MacTechTrainer :

both :)

Customer :

Then How do I get back in touch with you?

MacTechTrainer :

that is no problem at all

MacTechTrainer :

all you have to do is bookmark this session in your web browser

MacTechTrainer :

and then when you have restarted your PC

MacTechTrainer :

launch the web browser and select this bookmark

MacTechTrainer :

and come back into the session and send me a quick post

MacTechTrainer :

and that will alert me that you are back in the session- even if I am offline :)

Customer :

just tried to reboot the iphone by holding down both buttons. It turned off but did not look any different from just turning off wit the top button. is that right?

MacTechTrainer :

Correct

MacTechTrainer :

as soon as the screen goes black

MacTechTrainer :

let go of both keys

MacTechTrainer :

buttons rather..

MacTechTrainer :

and the iPhone will continue booting itself up

Customer :

OK ... Its getting a bit late here and I wouldn't mind hitting the sack. Do you mind if I pick this up tomorrow? What time zone are you in? when would be ok to pick up the chat?

MacTechTrainer :

NOT AT ALL :)

MacTechTrainer :

Rest is very important

Customer :

thanks

Customer :

will chat tomorrow

Customer :

PEter

MacTechTrainer :

I will be here

MacTechTrainer :

and where are you by the way Peter?

MacTechTrainer :

I am California

MacTechTrainer :

"in"

Customer :

In sydney

MacTechTrainer :

Thanks Peter

MacTechTrainer :

I see you are offline. When you are back online however, just reply back to this session, I will be alerted, whether I am online or off and will be able to assist you further. Please be sure to respond back - I really would like to help resolve your question!

MacTechTrainer :

Thanks for posting your question, I look forward to assisting you shortly.

MacTechTrainer :

Regards,

MacTechTrainer :

-Terry ("MacTechTrainer")

Customer :

Thanks for following up. Just got swamped with work recently. Do u mind if I get in touch in about a week?
Thanks
Peter

Customer :

I just received a request for feedback, which reminded me that there is some unfinished business, Unfortunately we did not get to th ebottom of the problem ... no criticism here, since (due to the time difference) I had to call it quits and go to bed during teh session. I tried unsuccessfully to reach out to the same expert to complete the task. I noticed that the status is "closed"but I still do not have a solution. What would you suggest?

I am still interested in