jstinehelfer
jstinehelfer, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  A+ Comptia Certified computer repair

My Comcast cable is down in the storm. My iMacs Airport recognizes

My Comcast cable is down in the storm. My iMac's Airport recognizes my Verizon MiFi and says I'm connected but can't open any website. My Macbook Pro, right next to it, is running fine. What am I doing wrong?
Category: Mac
Expert:  jstinehelfer replied 2 years ago.

jstinehelfer :

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an expert with JustAnswer.com. Thank you so much for using our services. I do believe I can help you with your problem today.

jstinehelfer :

Good Morning

Customer:

ok

jstinehelfer :

Do you know how many devices are currently connected to the MiFi?

Customer:

just my macbook

jstinehelfer :

Ok

Customer:

maybe my ipad

Customer:

iphone too

jstinehelfer :

usually you can only have up to 5 devices connected at one time

jstinehelfer :

that is why I am wondering

Customer:

yes. that should be it.

jstinehelfer :

ok lets try something here

jstinehelfer :

1. From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences.

2. From the View menu, choose Network

jstinehelfer :

what do you see here

jstinehelfer :

Wireless?

Customer:

Network says Ethernet connected (but that is wrong)

Customer:

It also says airport is on and connected to MIFI

jstinehelfer :

I am sorry that was for a different system

jstinehelfer :

can you select the airport and click the assist me button

Customer:

NOTE: It says "Airport has the self-assigned IP address ... and will not be able to connect to the internet"

Customer:

I have clicked "assist me"

jstinehelfer :

did it walk through and fix the self assigned address?

jstinehelfer :

after clicking assist me

jstinehelfer :

The self assigned address means it is not getting an address from the MiFi

jstinehelfer :

I wonder if you need to dis connect another device and try to connect this. I wonder if your at your limit of devices

jstinehelfer :

Have you tried to restart the Mifi?

Customer:

Yes. I did the diagnosticis and am now online

Customer:

two more related questions

jstinehelfer :

Ok great news.

jstinehelfer :

What is the other questions I would love to answer them

Customer:

will the mifi run faster on imac if I turn off my ipad and iphone?

jstinehelfer :

Let me try to explain this a little for you.

jstinehelfer :

With the Mifi you have so much bandwidth connection to the tower.

jstinehelfer :

With any device you are sharing that bandwidth

jstinehelfer :

so if all 5 devices are on at the same time and being used then yes it can slow each other down

jstinehelfer :

Do you know if your in a 3G or 4G area?

jstinehelfer :

4G is 10 times faster than the 3G and that is what is connected to the Mifi and the Verizon tower

Customer:

In goes back and forth. Right now, it's showing 4g. Sometimes it switches to 3G.

jstinehelfer :

You must be at the area where it bounces back and forth. With it bouncing back and forth I would say that is slowing you down

jstinehelfer :

can you find any place in the house where it would stay on 4G

Customer:

I have it in the best place near a window on ground floor.

Customer:

My imac is in basement, so it is not close to mifi, but does pick up signal.

jstinehelfer :

Sounds like you are going to have to wait for another 4g tower to come in to play so you will be 4g all the time

jstinehelfer :

unless you can find some where that it stays on 4G

Customer:

So i should power down macbook when i'm on imac?

jstinehelfer :

With your Ipad you can put it in Airplane mode so it wont use the Internet.

Customer:

ok

jstinehelfer :

Your Iphone as long as your not using it should not be taking up any bandwidth

jstinehelfer :

You dont need to power them down as long as no one is browsing the Internet on them.

jstinehelfer :

But I am sure even if you have two computers sharing the Internet it can slow it down

Customer:

so i should close firefox, so it isn't running some video or the like on some site

jstinehelfer :

yes I would close out the web browser on the device your not using

jstinehelfer :

Do you have any more questions I can help you with today?

Customer:

one more

Customer:

when my Comcast hard-line connection comes back and my home Linksys is working, and I just switch back to ethernet in network preferences. or will I have to go through the procedure you showed me again

jstinehelfer :

I would shut off your wireless connection and then give it a few seconds then test your Internet.

jstinehelfer :

You said your Ethernet is working still and that is because the cable is still connected to the router. Your just not getting Internet via the router but your connection is still there.

Customer:

i see

jstinehelfer :

But I would turn off or disconnect from the Mifi so I am using the Comcast only

jstinehelfer :

and if your having any troubles with the Comcast only you can always use the same procedure I showed you to troubleshoot the connection problem

Customer:

ok thx

jstinehelfer :

No problem. You have a beautiful weekend and a great holiday. Please give me a good rating so I can get credit for helping you today.

Customer:

sure

jstinehelfer, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: A+ Comptia Certified computer repair