Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

RA Sha

Customer Question

From iDisk I have successfully downloaded a large folder (call it Megafolder) containing a great number of Word (.doc and .docx) files, arranged in many sub-folders, onto my iMac. Now I woiuld like to put Megafolder back up there in iCloud -- or in any case use iCloud to keep this folder and its contents synced with an identical Megafolders on two other stationary computors (another iMac and a MacBookPro) in my local net. All are running updated Lion.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
iCloud won't do that for documents other than Apple's iWork right now, the developer has to make it work and Microsoft has not yet.. You can use Dropbox to do that it, it syncs folders on different computers and is free up to 2 GB.

NO Answer is final, PLEASE DO NOT Rate to Finish unless this solves your problem and you are satisfied. If so then you can Accept and Rate my Service. If it does not solve your problem, please Reply to Expert and let me know, I am here until we can fix the problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, Mike, thanks for that — but that was what I had just about figured out for myself, and I have in fact already downloaded Dropbox and paid for a lot of additional storage space.
The reason I turned to JustAnswer was that Joe Kissel seems to suggest in his Take Control of the iCloud that you perhaps can upload other than iWork documents, when he writes, in point 4 in the follwing passage on page 70:

Use Documents in the Cloud in a Web Browser

To access Documents in the Cloud for your iWork apps in a Web browser on your Mac or PC, follow these steps:

1. Log in to your account at https://www.icloud.com/, and go to the iWork application.

2. At the top of the window, click the name of the app (Keynote, Pages, or Numbers) whose documents you want to work with.

3. To download a document, first click it to select it. Then click Download followed by the format that you want (for example, Numbers documents are available in Numbers ’09, PDF, or Excel formats). Note that the iCloud site may take a few moments to “prepare” (that is, translate) a document before it downloads.

4. To upload a document, drag it into your browser window. You can upload not only iWork document formats but also Microsoft Office (.ppt/.pptx, .doc/.docx, and .xls/.xlsx) and text documents.

Unless you can solve this apparent contradiction, maybe we should just leave it at that. As things stand, I'm afraid I have to rate your reply as somewhere between 'OK service' and the next lower rating. Your reply was in no way incorrect, but it only told me what I already 'knew' and suggested I do what I had already done. Not worth the money, to me.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
I have not been able to get that to work so I don't know where he heard that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right you are. I don't either, which is why I turned to you.
So how do I rate your answer? I don't blame you for not being able to help me, but I don't think I should have to pay the full fee (over 400 Swedish crowns!) for not receiving getting the help I requested...
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
I can only answer correclty I can't make something work that doesn't work, so I don't know. You can contact customer service if you want to leave less or do nothing at all:

http://www.justanswer.com/help/contact.aspx

Please don't leave negative feedback on my record, you don't have to Rate at all. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Of course. And you did indeed answer correctly. Or you could say there is no satisfactory answer/solution to my problem. I'll convey that to customer service and see if I can get out of paying some or all of the fee, while insisting to them that nothing negative accrues to you, Mike.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK thanks you can use it for a future question too not sure what kind of account you have. Bye