Toby K.
Toby K., Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  17+ years of IT support
61870206

I have lost sound on my MacBook Air. It has happened before

Customer Question

I have lost sound on my MacBook Air. It has happened before and I paid a lot to get the logic board replaced. However, the problem is back again. I cannot keep spending 100s on getting this fixed every couple of months. No audio device (input or output) is detected and the sound icon at the top is grey. Doing a restart has not made a difference.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Toby K. replied 2 years ago.
Welcome, and thank you for your question.

I would start by checking to the Output settings of the sound card. You can do that by going to System Preferences > Sound > Output tab > make sure internal speakers are selected.

If that does not work, plug headphones into the MacBook, check for audio in headphones, unplug the headphones, check for audio from internal speakers.

If that does not work, try resetting the PRAM:

1. 1. Shut down the computer.

2. 2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.

3. 3. Turn on the computer.

4. 4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

5. 5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

6. 6. Release the keys.
  7. 7. Your Macbook will boot to the Desktop, once complete, check for audio.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thanks for this. As per my original question, I have already checked the input and output and no devices are recognised. I have already tried the soft reset, so I am looking to find out what I can do.
Expert:  Toby K. replied 2 years ago.
In my reply, I was just covering all bases. I just wanted you to go over each step to make sure that you had actually performed them.

Have you tried resetting the PRAM? Or tried the headphone step?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I have. Sorry, this is something I tried to express in my initial answer and in my second.
Expert:  Toby K. replied 2 years ago.
What version of OS X do you have? Go to Apple > About this Mac.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Air
Model Identifier: MacBookAir2,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.13 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MBA21.0075.B05
SMC Version (system): 1.34f8
Serial Number (system): W80070G49A7
Hardware UUID: ADCB9EDE-4825-520D-BB11-F87071A008EB
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

OS X - 10.6.8

All updates available have been completed.
Expert:  Toby K. replied 2 years ago.
The next logical step would be check for any file permission/inconsistencies that would cause this to happen.

1. Insert MacBook Air Software Reinstall Drive into one of the USB ports on your MacBook Air.

2. Press the power button on your MacBook Air, then press and hold the "C" key when you hear the startup tone.

3. Follow the instructions on the screen, and when the menu bar appears, from the Utilities menu, select Disk Utility.

4. In the column on the left, select the volume you want to repair, and then on the right, click the First Aid tab.

5. To verify and repair any problems on the selected volume(s), click Repair Disk. You can stop the scan at any time by clicking Stop Verify or Stop Repair.