Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

Hi I have forgotten my mac password XXXXX can not update anything,

Hi

I have forgotten my mac password XXXXX can not update anything, is ther any way of finding out resetting or something without out using a disk and erasing everything on my mac
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Before we start, please remember these things. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers didn’t worked or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer bad/negatively (First two left Stars/Faces/Ratings are Negatives) but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied.

What version of Mac OS X are you using ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
mac os x version 10.4.11
processor 2.33 ghz intel core 2 duo

If you don't have the discs, then you can create a new user account from Single User Mode. Then login to that new account and you can change the password XXXXX your old account.

Follow the steps below to create a new User Account in Single User Mode.

• Reboot your Mac
  • Immediately hold down the Command(Apple) + S key to boot into Single User Mode
  • When you see the text prompt, type in the following terminal commands to create a brand new Admininstrator account (hitting return after each line):

mount -uw /
rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
shutdown -h now

After rebooting, you should be able to create a brand new Administrator account. Then goto System Preferences > Accounts, select your old account and reset the password XXXXX there. Then logout from Apple menu and login to the old account.

Let me know if that didn't worked, so we continue troubleshooting. Don't Rate my answer until you are satisfied.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Did not work
At which step do you have trouble doing it ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don all the steps but after each step,
commands and return first 2 come back with no such file or directory im i missing something
You probably not writing the commands correctly. See the codes in detail below;

mount<press space>-uw<press space>/<press enter/return>
rm<press space>/var/db/.AppleSetupDone<press enter/return>
shutdown<press space>-h<press space>now<press enter/return>
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks it worked, i was a bit scared first as everything went, as the whole setup started again and had to create a new account, but then was able to go into old account and reset password
I'm glad you got it worked. If you like my service, please rate me as Excellent Service.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Although it keeps asking for keychain password XXXXX i did not set up and also i had to create a new account, and when logging it goes to that account and i have to log out new account to get into old account.

regards
You can reset the Keychain Database to fix Keychain issue.

• Goto Applications/Utilities/ and open Keychain Access
  • From the Keychain Access menu, choose Preferences.
  • Click Reset My Keychain, which is under the General pane.
  • Authenticate with your account login password.
  • Quit Keychain Access.
  • Restart your computer.
  •  

Then login to your new account, goto go back to XXXXX and click Security. In Security, click General ab. In General, enable "Disable Automatic Login" option. Close it. Restart your Mac. Then login to old account. Then just delete the new account from System Preferences > Accounts

Does that worked ?
    Customer: replied 4 years ago.
    i have sorted the login but the keychain access has not got reset my key chain
    Change the password XXXXX your old account from System Preferences and then reset Keychain again.

• Quit Keychain Access.
  • Restart your computer.
  •  

If that didn't worked, then goto Macintosh HD > Users > your user name > Library > Preferences folder and trash the com.apple.keychain.plist file. Trash anything related to Keychain from there. Then restart your Mac. Does that worked ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
    sorry but it does not work, can't find macintosh hd
    Macintosh HD is your hard disk, it may have another name like Mac HD, My HD etc

You can find it in the desktop or in Finder, in left column.
    Customer: replied 4 years ago.
    ok opened key chain access but no preferences
    In Keychain Access, click on Keychain Access menu in the top next to Apple menu.
  • Choose Preferences.
  • Quit Keychain Access.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Customer: replied 4 years ago.
    sorry but I cannot find preferences
    Did you clicked on the Keychain Access menu ? See picture below;
    graphic
    Customer: replied 4 years ago.
    i do no have that
    Yes, You have that..Keychain Access have the Keychain Access menu. Open Keychain Access and look over the top right corner of your screen and you will find that menu. Or open Keychain Access application and just press Command(Apple) and , keys and it will bring the Preferences window of Keychain Access
    Customer: replied 4 years ago.
    Finally i found it and think it is sorted.

thanks a lot
    You're most welcome : )

If you like my service, please rate me as Excellent Service. Thank You..

Best Regards,