Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

My iMac will not start. I get the starty up tone, then the

My iMac will not start. I get the starty up tone, then the apple logo with a bar which does not complete, disappears and a spinning gear cog and nothing happens, can you help please? It is a 27" screen purchased in January this year and running on Lion.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Before we start, please remember these things. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers didn’t worked or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer bad/negatively (First two left Stars/Faces/Ratings are Negatives) but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied.

We can try some basic troubleshooting steps and see if it works or not. First try Disk Utility.

• Turn off your Mac.
  • Turn in back on and immediately hold down Option at boot and select the “Recovery” disk at the boot menu
  • This will boot your Mac to XXXXX Utilities” menu
  • Select Disk Utility.
  • In Disk Utility, Repair your disk and Repair Permission

Restart in Safe mode
Make sure that the computer is shut down. Press the power button. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator. Let the Mac boot up...

Let me know if that didn't worked, so we continue troubleshooting. Don't Rate my answer until you are satisfied.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This worked, thank you so much!
You're most welcome :)