John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry

I do not want people to be able to look at my emails and photos

I do not want people to be able to look at my emails and photos and videos. How do I go about this? When I turn my iPad on everything is right there and I am a very private person.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX self-employed tech, and I'm offering my time in good faith today to provide advice and information.

Would you like to set a passcode that must be entered before the iPad can be used?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi John
Is this what I need to do to secure my info? So if I do this can other people still use my iPad or they would need my passcode?
If you choose to secure the iPad with a passcode then no one could use it at all unless you gave them the code. iPads are not intended as multi-user devices so you can not set up separate private and guest accounts as you can with a normal computer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Oh ok. Then this is what I need to do then. How do I do this.....set up the passcode?
Okay, thankfully it is very simple.

However, I must anr you that you should not forget this passcode. If you do, you would have to "erase" the iPad in order to make it functional again and you would lose any personal data stored on it in the process.

To set a passcode:

Tap Settings

Tap General

Tap Passcode Lock

Turn passcode lock ON enter a 4 digit passcode and set any other desired options if needed

The iPad will then requires you to enter the passcode to unlock it.

If you should ever wish to turn off this function or modify the passcode; Choose General > Passcode Lock and tap Turn Passcode Off or Change Passcode, then enter the current passcode.

Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If you continue to have questions on this topic, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further.

Thanks and good luck,

NOTE: The site has recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional, and not other factors outside my control. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply To Expert". Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me as a working individual, so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience on this matter.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Oh thank u so much John. It worked!
Glad to hear it!

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

You can ask me a new question at any time by submitting it via my profile: