Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

Customer Question

Mac computer 1 yr old froze while going on Internet, I restarted it and now stuck on start up screen with wheel spinning. Tried other advice ( put disk in and help down d, no problems came up) still stuck on start up menu
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

Put the current operating system disk in (the disk that came with your computer unless you have upgraded, in that case use the new system disk) and restart holding down the letter C key until you see the Apple logo. Choose your language then you get to the install screen DO NOT INSTALL, you will see at the top of the screen a Utilities menu drop down. Go the Disk Utility, Highlight your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Repair is not succesful
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Damn. In that case you have two options: if you have a current backup you can erase the hard drive and reinstall the system then restore from backup, if you do not have a backup you can try third party startup disk like Disk Warrior to try and repair the drive which can many times repair a drive that Disk Utility cannot. Let me know.

NO Answer is final, PLEASE DO NOT Rate to Finish unless this solves your problem and you are satisfied. If so then you can Accept and Rate my Service. If it does not solve your problem, please Reply to Expert and let me know, I am here until we can fix the problem.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I don't have a backup... But I'm pretty sure I still have warranty on this... I guess I'll just bring it in thanks tho
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
OK good luck.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
The only problem is they will charge to recover, the warranty does not cover your data, only the hardware.