Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

Can you help me fix the wireless connection from my printer

Can you help me fix the wireless connection from my printer to my Mac?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Look at pages 6-9 here for initial setup to make sure you have it right, let me know if you have any probems:
http://www.usa.canon.com/app/pdf/wireless/setup_990_640_560_mac.pdf

Also please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Mike:
Thankyou for your response. I've previously followed these instructions as given to me by you. Unfortunately they are not new. The problem is, when the installation program tries to detect the printer, it is unable to do so. My wireless settings in airport are all turned on to detect new devices, my Cisco router has been reinstalled and set up just according to manufacturer instructions and appears to be working fine with my other devices, but my router cannot detect the printer directly from the network. Additionally, the printer selections in the "control panel" Mac system preferences cannot detect any printer if I select "add printer". My printer seems invisible to both router and iMac despite the drivers having been downloaded for this specific model printer and for my specific OS. And dispite the printer itself confirming connection to the connection point using the code for the connection point as given for network access. I have entered the
code multiple times and repeated all these steps several times in my effort to fix this prior to contacting you. The printer of course is turned on. I've turned on and off my computer just to insure all was installed correctly. Despite this, the printer cannot be detected by the iMac nor by the Cisco router. The printer is right next to the computer and worked fine for months prior to this happening following a crash of Firefox which required me to restart the computer manually. What can be done to get the computer to detect the printer?

Thanks,
LeRoy
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Not sure what you mean by "My wireless settings in airport are all turned on to detect new devices"? Please tell me the IP addresses of both the printer and your Mac
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, out of time for today, will email with the information tomorrow. Thankyou!
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok if it worked before and nothing else has changed do this also:

Click on the first icon in the Dock the "Finder", then click on Go at the top of the screen, you will see a drop down menu, go to Utilities. When that opens double click on the application called Disk Utility. When Disk Utility opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that is OK in green type, then click on Repair Permissions on the left.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Mike, I'm now ready to continue working on this!
IPv4 of Printer: 192.168.1.144
IPv4 of Mac: 192.168.1.142
Mac OS X Version 10.6.8
Processor: 3.06Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory: 4GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Followed your instructions per your above paragraph, "repair permissions complete" message given following completion thereof.
Now what do I do?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Was Verify Disk also ok in green?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Is the Cisco router your WiFi and DSL or is there another device?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No other devices, using the Cisco for my wireless throughout my home.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
OK if you are sure they are both connected to the same network try resetting the printing system on the Mac:

Resetting the printing system in Mac OS X v10.5.x or 10.6.x
To use the Reset Printing System function in Mac OS X v10.5.x or 10.6.x, follow these steps:
  1. Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu.
  2. Choose Print & Fax from the View menu.
  3. Hold down the Option key while clicking the "-" (Remove printer) button. If no printers are currently added, hold down the Control key while clicking in the box that appears above the "+" (Add printer) button, then choose Reset printing system… from the contextual menu.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There are not printers currently given. When I hold down the control button and click the "+". I have an "add printer" window which opens up with "Protocol", "Address", and "Queue" lines to type on. At the top are "default", "fax", "IP", and "Windows" icons. At the bottom are greyed out "name", "Location", and "Print using" lines. At the very bottom is a greyed out button for "Add". I cannot see anything about resetting the printing system.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
No hold the Control key and click inside the empty box "above" the plus sign. You'll see it then.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, done. Printing system reset. Says "no printers avaiilable".
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Try going through the setup with the printer plugged in to the computer with USB if not too difficult.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, I do not have the USB connection cord or device any more. I would need to send to Canon to get a new one specifically for this printer.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok I have had success doing it that way, actually you can get one from any Radio Shack or other store. Ok try this when you go to add the printer select the IP tab instead of Default and put in 192.168.1.144
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Since resetting my printing system, these options are gone. Everything is greyed out and it is not giving me any option to add anything. The previous IP tab no longer appears in the "add printer" window.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
I think you need to reinstall your system:

Put the 10.6 system disk in and restart holding down the letter C key until you see the Apple logo. When you get to the install screen DO NOT INSTALL, you will see at the top of the screen a Utilities menu drop down. Go the Disk Utility, when it opens select your drive on the left and select Verify Disk if OK also repair Permissions. If not OK try to Repair if Repair completes then Repair Permissions. Then quit Disk Utility and then you will see the install screen. Install. Restart and run Software Update until no more updates are available.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do the IP addresses of my Mac and Printer need to be the same? I notice the last digits are different.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
No they CANNOT be the same but they have to be on the same subnet which they are. If you are not seeing the option in add printer there is a serious problem with the system installation.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can this "serious problem" be fixed?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Yes by reinstalling the system I already gave you those instructions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, this has been done, what is the next step?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
That quick really? It should have taken more time than that? Did you also run Software Update?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The printer system has been reset twice. Which software update do you mean?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Did you miss this?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, I will do this, I'll get back to you when it's done.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok good luck
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, I did all except of course I did not re-install a complete OS X which would have formatted all of my files. I did do everything using the startup disk to do the repair and repair permissions, ran software update, and also reinstalled the MP 560 drivers for both the scanner and printer from Canon driver website. The printer still cannot be detected.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
It will not erase your files a reinstall of Snow Leopard is an archive and install by default. Did the IP tab come back in the add printer list?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Mike...I decided to try unplugging and then plugging back in my router...this resulted in the network visualizing the printer, I clicked the add printer button in system preferences, now both my printer and scanner are working again. It looks like it was a mixed up router. Thanks for your help today. Rating "got the job done". Iwill press "accept" for all your hard work. Thanks again very much!!
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Great!! Sorry I thought you said you did that at the beginning I misread. oops
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.