Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

How do I reset my iPad if it's locked?

I am locked out of my iPad and I don’t know how to get it back. It says to go to iTunes and I did and now I don’t know what to do from there.

Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.

You have to restore your iPad from iTunes on your computer. You can restore it by putting it to DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade) Mode. DFU Mode is a mode which will allow you to restore your iPad to working condition. Put your iPad to DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade) Mode and restore it from iTunes. Follow the steps below to put your iPad to DFU Mode;

• Connect the iPad to your computer with the USB Cable.
  • Open iTunes application on your computer
  • On your iPad Press and hold the Home button and the Sleep/Wake button at the same time.
  • After exactly 8 seconds release the Sleep/Wake button. Continue holding the home button until your iTunes shows a message telling you that it has detected an iPad in recovery mode.
  • Click OK or Restore

Note: Put it to DFU Mode while connected to computer and also in DFU Mode your iPad will remain blank.

Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.

At which step do you have trouble doing it?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'm not sure which buttons to press and I tried a combination of them all and none worked.

Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.

See picture below for buttons;

graphic

Timing is critical when you put it to DFU Mode. Also put it to DFU Mode while the iPad is connected to the computer.

You can refer this video to put it to DFU Mode: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bITIiGswjFI

(The video is for iPhone, but it is the same procedure for iPad too).

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It will not go into dui mode. It only says connect to iTunes. Do I need it connected to the pc so I can save the info? I’m not worried about losing any info. Do I still need to connect it to the pc? I had last night but this morning I disconnected the USB cable from the pc.

Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.

Yes, you have to connect it to PC. Then only you will be able to put it to DFU Mode. Again, you can only put it to DFU Mode if you connected it to your PC. You have to restore it from your PC.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I’m doing that!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Is it on mode when I see a little apple icon? Then it goes away and the same screen comes on.

Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.

In DFU mode the screen will be blank. Try again and remember timing is important when you put it to DFU.

If that didn't work, then connect your iPad to your PC and then hold down both buttons until it shows a USB cable pointing to iTunes icon. Then open iTunes on your PC and restore it.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I got it to clear itself but it needs a password ***** I have no idea where to get it from and I’m afraid to lock myself out again.

Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.

Were you able to restore it successfully?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes!

Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.

When you restored, you will get two options. Restore From Backup or Setup it as new iPad. Make sure you've chosen Setup it as new iPad or the password ***** is there.

Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience: Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc