CompExpert
CompExpert, Mac Specialist
Experience:  Apple Desktop/Laptops with 8 years exp. Apple Certified
63903440

How to retrieve old text messages from an iPhone?

I'm trying to retrieve old text messages from my iPhone from April and May and my backup system is iCloud. Is the any way to get those messages?

Product: iPhone
Software (if necessary): iOS

Already Tried:
I tried a software program that get data from iTunes backup but it looks like my backup is now on iCloud.

hi,

I'm not sure you did backup all your messages on iCloud yet,
the only way to find out or even know if it does is to restore your iPhone first then follow the initial setup at the end of that setup it will give you option to restore from icloud.

After you restore and find out that all your messages that you need are there.

You can use software like touchcopy and pull messages from your iPhone to the computer
http://www.wideanglesoftware.com/touchcopy/features/features_messages.php

Now to restore your iPhone, just plug in, open iTunes, select iPhone name under Devices then on the summary tab click restore

You can check backup by going to settings --->>> icloud --->>>backup and storage
See how many backups you did

If you got more than one backup and the date was on april or may, after restoring your iPhone, the final steps of the initial setup, that give you option to restore from icloud, pick backup date that is within the time frame you wanted

Then restore it

Anyhow, let me know if it works out for you.
Thank you

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I erased my iphone and then restored setting from icloud backup. There were no messages from April or May. I also downloaded a software program called wondershare that actually pulled up some text messages from Oct 2010 but nothing else. Is there anything else I can try?
wondershare software extract file that backup from itunes.

since you backup everything from icloud there wont be anything on itunes to extract.

I think the problem is icloud might overwrite your old data, since icloud is free Apple wont have a system in place to restore deleted or overwrite data.

since currently there is not data recovery software for iphone.

to be honest there nothing else we can do to recover your old data.

but from now on you can used the software below and backup all your text message to your computer.

http://www.wideanglesoftware.com/touchcopy/index.php