Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

How to repair iPhoto library? My iphoto will not open

Customer Question

My iphoto will not open---just spins! I have tried "option, command" to rebuild. I have tried shutting off computer. I have tried going through Finder to get into iphoto. Almost like a virus or a corrupted iPhoto library or something. Any suggestions?

Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.

Hi and Welcome.

It is not a Virus. Probably your iPhoto Library is corrupted. Since you already tried normal Rebuilding, this time try to Rebuild your iPhoto Library with this application, iPhoto Library Manager (just try the trial version) :

Please follow the instructions in here to rebuild your iPhoto Library with iPhoto Library Manager :

That application can find and repair the iPhoto Library. Let me know if that didn't work.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This is above and beyond me. I am printing 55 pages of "computer talk" that is just too much for me to handle.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.

It is simpler than you think. Just download the application, open it and then click on File menu and select Rebuild. Then select your iPhoto Library and let it rebuild it. Let me know if you have any trouble doing it...

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I DOWNLOADED TRIAL IPHOTO LIBRARY MGR. Responded saying your program was not updated enough for my Iphoto version 9.2.3. You don't have an updated version so what now?
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Thats strange. iPhoto Library Manager works with all version of iPhoto. In your Mac, click on Apple menu and click Software Updates. Then do all Software Updates
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did that yesterday. But, I just did it again today and nothing needs updating.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Does your iPhoto allow you to rebuild when you held down Command and option keys on startup of iPhoto ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, I tried that several times yesterday and today before contacting you
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Lets try it, but before that we can reset some old preference file of iPhoto. Close iPhoto. Goto Macintosh HD > Users > your username > Library > Preferences folder. In there, trash the file file. Then hold down Command and Option keys and without releasing them, open iPhoto. Does it brings the Rebuild screen ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Select all options in the list and hit Rebuild. Let it complete..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did that yesterday and it didnt work. When I open Iphoto the wheel just keeps spinning. I even let the wheel spins for like three hours after I clicked all of the rebuild /repair files. It's a mystery!
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
The wheel is spinning because it is trying to load your iPhoto Library. How many photos are there on your iPhoto Library ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
A whole lotta pix-thousands
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Well, lets try a manual fix. Close iPhoto, hold down Option key and open iPhoto. You will be asked to create or choose Library. Select Create Library and name it "New Library" or anything. Does iPhoto opened with a empty library ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

connect a camera

drag photos into iphoto

choose file>import to library
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
So iPhoto opened with empty library ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Iphoto opened with a screen that gave me those 3 options
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
That means there is nothing wrong with your iPhoto application, but with your old iPhoto Library. Goto Pictures folder, right click on the old iPhoto Library and select "Show Package Contents" option from the popup menu. This will open the iPhoto Library in Finder. In there, click and drag the Originals folder to the iPhoto icon in the dock. Does your iPhoto imports all the photos from old library to new library ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There are 17,000 photos being transfered so this may take some time.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.

Okay...but There is a small problem. Your photos will not be organized or will be in albums like in old library. Because we are recovering photos from the corrupted library and we can't recover the albums. It is not mine or your fault, it is common that files get corrupted. So you should backup your iPhoto Library regularly. So if it got corrupted again, you can restore/recover it. Good Luck with it..

Let me know if you have any trouble making it work and I will continue working with you.

Best Regards