Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

My iphoto will not open---just spins! I have tried "option,

Customer Question

My iphoto will not open---just spins! I have tried "option, command" to rebuild. I have tried shutting off computer. I have tried going through Finder to get into iphoto. Almost like a virus or something. Any suggestions?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is Ashik and I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

It is not a Virus. Probably your iPhoto Library is corrupted. Since you already tried normal Rebuilding, this time try to Rebuild your iPhoto Library with this application, iPhoto Library Manager (just try the trial version) : http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/

Please follow the instructions in here to rebuild your iPhoto Library with iPhoto Library Manager : http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/Help/rebuilding%20a%20corrupted%20iphoto%20library.html

That application can find and repair the iPhoto Library. Let me know if that didn't worked. Only click Accept after we solved the problem
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This is above and beyond me. I am printing 55 pages of "computer talk" that is just too much for me to handle.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
It is very simple than you think. Just download the application, open it and then click on File menu and select Rebuild. Then select your iPhoto Library and let it rebuild it. Let me know if you have any trouble doing it...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How much more than the $58 is this going to cost me to use your program and will it be a reucrring cost?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Sorry. I don't have access to any of your account info. I'm just a expert in here and I've no control over your account or other personal details to check. I see this question's cost is $58 and i think its not recurring. We can continue until we fix the problem and you won't be charged more than $58. For more info about the payment related, please contact the customer service at info@justanswer.com
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I DOWNLOADED TRIAL IPHOTO LIBRARY MGR. Responded saying your program was not updated enough for my Iphoto version 9.2.3. You don't have an updated version so what now?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Thats strange. iPhoto Library Manager works with all version of iPhoto. In your Mac, click on Apple menu and click Software Updates. Then do all Software Updates
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did that yesterday. But, I just did it again today and nothing needs updating.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Does your iPhoto allow you to rebuild when you held down Command and option keys on startup of iPhoto ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, I tried that several times yesterday and today before contacting you
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Lets try it, but before that we can reset some old preference file of iPhoto. Close iPhoto. Goto Macintosh HD > Users > your username > Library > Preferences folder. In there, trash the file com.apple.iphoto.plist file. Then hold down Command and Option keys and without releasing them, open iPhoto. Does it brings the Rebuild screen ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Select all options in the list and hit Rebuild. Let it complete..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did that yesterday and it didnt work. When I open Iphoto the wheel just keeps spinning. I even let the wheel spins for like three hours after I clicked all of the rebuild /repair files. It's a mystery!
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
The wheel is spinning because it is trying to load your iPhoto Library. How many photos are there on your iPhoto Library ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
A whole lotta pix-thousands
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Well, lets try a manual fix. Close iPhoto, hold down Option key and open iPhoto. You will be asked to create or choose Library. Select Create Library and name it "New Library" or anything. Does iPhoto opened with a empty library ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
options:

connect a camera

drag photos into iphoto

choose file>import to library
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
So iPhoto opened with empty library ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Iphoto opened with a screen that gave me those 3 options
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
That means there is nothing wrong with your iPhoto application, but with your old iPhoto Library. Goto Pictures folder, right click on the old iPhoto Library and select "Show Package Contents" option from the popup menu. This will open the iPhoto Library in Finder. In there, click and drag the Originals folder to the iPhoto icon in the dock. Does your iPhoto imports all the photos from old library to new library ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There are 17,000 photos being transfered so this may take some time.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Okay...but There is a small problem. Your photos will not be organized or will be in albums like in old library. Because we are recovering photos from the corrupted library and we can't recover the albums. It is not mine or your fault, it is common that files get corrupted. So you should backup your iPhoto Library regularly. So if it got corrupted again, you can restore/recover it. Good Luck with it..

Let me know if you have any trouble making it work and I will continue working with you.

Best Regards,
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You asked me to do what I had already done. With that said, I ended up waiting a few days for a Genius appointment to open up at Apple and there the issue was resolved. Thanks for your time.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Why did you left me Negative Rating..Please don't Rate my answer again.