Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

i have a pioneer dvd-rw dvr-110d connected to a iBook G4 running

Customer Question

i have a pioneer dvd-rw dvr-110d connected to a iBook G4 running OSX 10.4.11 and i am getting an error message when i try to burn a dvd with toast

error message is:

sense key=Medium Error
sense code= Ox73, Ox 03
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Are you trying to burn dual layer DVDs?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am burning DVD R 120 minute/4.7 GB by Sony. In the past I have burned the same discs on this burner. I have tried burning four different discs so i don't think it is the media. I don't know what "dual layer DVDs" are. Please explain.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
I doubt that drive can burn them anyway. I need some information and I also want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation :

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Click on the first icon in the Dock the "Finder", then click on Go at the top of the screen, you will see a drop down menu, go to Utilities. When that opens double click on the application called Disk Utility. When Disk Utility opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that is OK in green type, then click on Repair Permissions on the left.

Note: If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
processor 1.2 Ghz PowerPC G4
Memory 1.25 GB DDR SDRAM

i verified disk, it came up green and did repair permissions and it was successful.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok open Disk Utility and try burning a disk with that.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i don't know how to burn a disk with disk utility.

I tried burning with toast again and got the same error message.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
What version of Toast?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Roxio Toast Lite
6.0.6
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Try this it is free right now:

http://discoapp.com/

You can't get updates for that version of Toast any more.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I downloaded disco and it does not work.

it seems to be responding to the media, saying "you've just made a coaster."
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Are you connecting via FireWire?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes, but i've tried USB with the same result.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
How old is the drive do you have an aircan?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i think it is about five years old. i installed it in the box. No aircan.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
I would get an aircan or a cleanign disk and try to celan out the drive.
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i think i would have started with "how old is the drive" but whatever. you went through some reasonable diagnostic steps to conclude it is the hardware. I'm not sure that's worth twenty-eight dollars, but you spent time on it in good faith so i will accept your help and pay the bill. I'm not satisfied.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
I would like you to come back a happy customer, rather than pay when you are not satisfied. If that does not work come back here, ok?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Even if I had asked how old the drive was (I actually know how old that model is) I still would have had to try the other things to be sure.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
someone suggested trying to burn a cd with the drive using the same software. i am not able to do that. it seems iTunes will not let me drop files in disco or toast. i am trying to burn directly from iTunes and iTunes crashes.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
You can't drop files from iTunes, you would need to drop the actual MP3s directly. Go to Macintosh HD / Users / yourusername / Library / Preferences and drag com.apple.itunes.plist to the trash and restart then try burning a disk from iTunes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i did as you suggested and now after i select a playlist to burn, and hit burn iTunes crashes. I did this once, followed the steps you suggested again, and the same crash happened.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
OK then I would try cleaning the drive.