Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  OSX certified, many years experience supporting Apple Hardware & Software
65126503

Whenever I try to export a 14 min film from final cut pro X

Whenever I try to export a 14 min film from final cut pro X to quicktime, the footage goes all jumpy with one particular frame from the very beginning occasionally repeating itself over and over (although when viewed within final cut pro X everything seems fine). I just need to be able to export into a format suitable to upload to vimeo/YouTube. I'm not sure what to do?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Steve Herrod replied 2 years ago.

Steve Herrod : Hi I'll be happy to help with this issue
Steve Herrod : Can you confirm the version of OSX you are using? If you go to the Apple menu and choose About this Mac it should be listed there
Customer:

Hi, while waiting for an answer i tried burning it to DVD and this works fine. So why cant I export it as a quicktime clip without problems/

Customer:

10.7.1 version

Steve Herrod : Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX seems to be specific to the QuickTime X exporting
Steve Herrod : When you export do you have the option to choose deign t
Steve Herrod : Sorry, choose deinterlace?
Steve Herrod : When exporting are you getting a .mov file or a .mp4 file?
Customer:

No- theres no deinterlace within the export options on fcp

Customer:

im getting a mov file

Steve Herrod : Ok, have you tried exporting as an mp4 file?
Customer:

How would i go about doing that?

Steve Herrod : When you go it file-->export
Steve Herrod : Select using QuickTime conversion
Steve Herrod : And the Save window should appear
Steve Herrod : Click on Format
Steve Herrod : And choose MPEG-4
Steve Herrod : Then name the file and click Save
Customer:

The only options I have for format are appleprores, H.264, DVCPRO HD, HDV/XDCAM HD etc. am I looking in the right area?

Customer:

Because my export option isnt on the file tab but the share tab

Steve Herrod : Ok, on the share tab and export options is there the possibility to choose iTunes?
Customer:

No there isnt- only thing similar is an option to export and mp3?

Customer:

*an

Steve Herrod : Ok, there is usually an iTunes option or even a straight YouTube option in FCPX so is strange
Customer:

there is a youtube option

Customer:

but its saying its too big to upload to youtube

Steve Herrod : Ah ok, at least that answers that question
Steve Herrod : Ok, when you go to share is there the option to choose Apple Devices?
Customer:

yep, there is

Steve Herrod : If so choose that
Steve Herrod : And then select Mac & PC
Steve Herrod : With the option add to iTunes
Steve Herrod : Once this has been shared it can be checked in iTunes for quality
Steve Herrod : If it works ok, locate the file on your hard drive
Steve Herrod : And it will have a .m4v extension
Steve Herrod : Rename to a .mp4 file
Steve Herrod : And upload to Youtube
Customer:

Its just processing right now but could take some time- can I get back to you incase it doesnt work?

Steve Herrod : Yes of course
Steve Herrod : I'm also based in the UK
Steve Herrod : Will be away from computer for next 60 mins but let me know how it goes
Steve Herrod : You can just reply to this chat when convenient and I'll respond as soon as possible
Customer:

many thanks, XXXXX XXXXX keep this page open.

Customer:

many thanks it worked,

Steve Herrod, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: OSX certified, many years experience supporting Apple Hardware & Software