David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc H.Dip Apple Certified Professional

I have updated my i phone which was running on 4.2 to the latest

Customer Question

I have updated my i phone which was running on 4.2 to the latest version using itunes. I have all my stored data , pics, msgs, apps and contacts . I have checked in itunes and it seems itunes didn't store my data although it said it did . how to recover my data
Category: Mac
Expert:  David replied 4 years ago.
Hi my name is David.

Connect your iPhone, and open iTunes.

Then click the iPhone when it appears in sidebar, and click the Restore button.

Follow all the steps until asked if you want to set up as new iPhone, or recover from backup. Choose a backup and continue.

You should have all your details returned to your iPhone. You should wait until the restore finishes, verify your data, reconnect to iTunes and click the Sync button in the bottom right on the iPhone info screen.

Best regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dear Expert . Thank you for the reply .

I have done all the steps you have mentioned and still I didn't get my old data. I think itunes didn't store my original data prior to updating my iPhone. Is there an alternative way to get my old data if itunes didn't make a backup ?

Expert:  David replied 4 years ago.

If there was no backup to restore from, you will need to get the data from the original library you synced from, or download for free from iTunes if they were previous purchases.