CompExpert
CompExpert, Mac Specialist
Experience:  Apple Desktop/Laptops with 8 years exp. Apple Certified
63903440

RA hs

Customer Question

My Mac will not recognize the air card
Category: Mac
Expert:  CompExpert replied 2 years ago.

CompExpert :

hi,
go to apple menu --->>> about this mac

CompExpert :

click more info

CompExpert :

system profile will open up

CompExpert :

in system profile, under network

CompExpert :

select airport card

CompExpert :

it should show your airport card information if the system detect your airport hardware

CompExpert :

if you select airport card and it said no information found

CompExpert :

thats mean your airport card hardware is defective

CompExpert :

you have to bring to apple store and get it replace

or you can buy a usb wifi adapter and used it

just like this ---->>>http://www.amazon.com/GMYLE-Wireless-802-11n-RTL8192CU-Adapter/dp/B004HYHZJY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338695462&sr=8-1

CompExpert :

if you have more related question, please let me know.

if not please click accept. thank you

Customer : The Mac is not responding as you indicate, it does not say no information found. It just says airport off and does not respond to my clicking it.
CompExpert :

okay

CompExpert :

go to system preferences --> network settings- added a connection- clicked turn on

CompExpert :

Full Size Image

CompExpert :

something like that

CompExpert :

go to system preferences ---->>> network ---->>> select airport --->>> then click turn on airport

Customer : I did that. A message came up saying some info could be lost, I clicked apply and nothing happened. I then clicked Turn airport on and nothing happens.
CompExpert :

turn off your imac

power on again right away press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys

CompExpert :

keep holding it until your imac reboot itself

CompExpert :

after that log back into osx

CompExpert :

and see if your airport working again

Customer : Now it won't turn on!
Customer : OK it turned on. What is osx?
CompExpert :

osx is a operating system for mac

CompExpert :

apple called osx lion

CompExpert :

meaning Operating System version 10

CompExpert :

im glad is working again

CompExpert :

please click accept and have a goodnight

Customer : It is not working! It's the same.
CompExpert :

i thought you said it turned on?

Customer : It turned on but nothing had changed. And it never asked about osx.
CompExpert :

now do you see a little wifi icon at the top right side

Customer : I turned it off again and it's not turning on again
CompExpert :

do you know what version is your osx?

CompExpert :

10.5, 10.6, 10.7?

CompExpert :

we might have to reinstall your osx again

CompExpert :

you will need the osx installation disc

CompExpert :

something like this link --->>> http://www.mixdl.com/uploads/posts/2011-10/1319520762_dvd-snow.jpg

CompExpert :

if this imac is old

CompExpert :

it might come with two disc

CompExpert :

1 disc said osx install disc and disc 2 said application disk

CompExpert :

we need osx install disc

Customer : 10.6
CompExpert :

thats snow leopard

CompExpert :

dont worry, reload operating system will not erase your data

Customer : One disc says Mac os x install DVD . The other says applications install DVD. Whicc
CompExpert :

thats the one
mac osx installation disc and follow my direction below.
installation will take about 30 minutes to 1hr

if you can do it now or later when you have time.

CompExpert :

1. need osx installation disc

2.insert in dvd drive, power off, power on again right away hold down C key, keep holding it 3.until you get to a language screen

4.after that just follow the direction and reinstall your osx

Customer : A window came up saying Mac os x install DVD. 3 items 86.4 mb availed. Should I continue with your instructions?
CompExpert :

just closed that window

CompExpert :

and turn off your computer

CompExpert :

then power on computer on again right away hold down c key

CompExpert :

keep holding it until you see a language screen

CompExpert :

click the right arrow to continue to next screen

CompExpert :

then follow the screen instruction to reinstall mac osx

CompExpert :

it getting really late over here. I will talk to you tomorrow morning

have a goodnight

Customer : I'm in Thailand. 11 hours ahead of you if you are in the east coast, 14 if you are on the west coast. It's 12:30 pm here right now. If I still have a problem,
Customer : I'm
Customer : L
CompExpert :

if you still have problem we will continue tomorrow morning.

just go ahead and replace in here

CompExpert :

and I will get back to you asap in there morning

CompExpert :

is midnight over here

CompExpert :

* sorry i mean reply

Customer : I'll try to contact you in 10 hours, if your not there then I'll try again in about 23 hours
CompExpert :

:) enjoy the rest of your day

Customer : Hello! Are you out there
CompExpert :

yes, were you able to reinstall osx and get your airport working again

Customer : I installed the osx but still no airport
Customer : I just noticed that it no longer has iPhoto anymore. A window came up saying "you can't use this version of the application iPhoto with this version of Mac os x. You have Mac os x 10.6. The application requires Mac os x 10.6.8"
CompExpert :

dont worry, just go to apple menu---->>> software update

after install all available update and reboot

CompExpert :

your iphoto should be back to normal again

CompExpert :

unfortunately, reinstall osx 10.6 should fix the problem if it were software problem that caused it.

since your case after reinstall osx problem still occurred which mean your build-in airport card is defective.

I would recommend you buy an external usb wifi card and used it or you have to used the wired ethernet port on your imac

usb wifi adapter --->>> http://www.amazon.com/GMYLE-Wireless-802-11n-RTL8192CU-Adapter/dp/B004HYHZJY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338782645&sr=8-1

Customer : What about the scroll on my Bluetooth mouse that no longer is working?
CompExpert :

after you do software update everything should be back to normal again

Customer : Pardon my being so blunt but this attempted solution has caused more headaches then when we started
CompExpert :

I'm sorry, but to solve a problem we have to try all troubleshooting steps to determine what cause it

Customer : Will I be charged for this?
Customer : I believe it said there was a 7 day free trial
CompExpert :

remember I only get paid when you click accept.

if they give you free trial for 7 days then you properly will not get charge for it

I'm not really sure how account and billing work

CompExpert :

it really all depends on you, if you satisfied and think I have try my best to help you out then click accept.

if not you can email justanswer customer support and have them closed out the ticket

Customer : What is their email add.?
CompExpert :

click the help link

CompExpert :

it should direct you there

CompExpert :

sorry I cannot help you solve your problem since is a hardware problem.

anyhow, I do hope you have a safe and wonderful week

Customer : Do you mean "contact us" I see no "help" link
CompExpert :

let me know if you need anything else.

I'll be on standby