Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Good morning. I upgraded itunes a few days ago to the current version.

Good morning. I upgraded itunes a few days ago to the current version. Now when I want to play a song I get an ! in front of the song and a message "The song could not be used because the original file could not be found. Would you like to locate it?" Arrgh! I have 3600 songs someplace, I desperately hope. Can you help please?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

First I need some information and I also want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation :

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Click on the first icon in the Dock the "Finder", then click on Go at the top of the screen, you will see a drop down menu, go to Utilities. When that opens double click on the application called Disk Utility. When Disk Utility opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that is OK in green type, then click on Repair Permissions on the left.

Note: If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
I GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Very disk replied ok in green
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
OK Repair Permissions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Repair Permissions completed its process with no message but some of the lines in the scrolling box said "....has been modified and no repair has been made"
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
OK still need system version, under Mac OS X.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
sorry, OS 10.6.8
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
OK go to Apple Logo to Software Update.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok - shows only 1 item - Safari which is the one I did not select when I last updated
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Where did you select Previous Library?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
In the I Tunes after the message "do you want to locate this"
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
OK go to Macintosh HD/Users/yourusername/Library/Preferences and drag com.apple.itunes.plist to the desktop and restart then try iTunes.

Remember, if for any reason you’re unsatisfied, we can continue our conversation until you’ve received the information you’re looking for. If I haven’t answered your question, please let me know and I’ll be happy to answer any other follow-up questions you might have.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
sorry, where is Macintosh HD/Users/yourusername/Library/Preferences
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Macintosh HD is your hard drive on the Desktop:

graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I found a com.apple.ipod.plist but not the .itunes.plist
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
You are in the wrong Library not Macintosh HD / Library, Macintosh HD/Users/yourusername/Library

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I found com.apple.iTune.plist (with the capital T)put it on the desktop, restarted, tried itunes-same results with the ! and not being able to find original. Note - the recently played tunes do play, but not the purchased or the playlists- radio works
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
OK.

Re-creating the iTunes Library file

Note: After re-creating your library, any devices that you sync with iTunes (Apple TV, iPod, iPhone, iPad) will see your iTunes library as a new library and will completely resync. The next sync with such a device will take longer and may reset some options since your rebuilt library isn't familiar to the device.

1. Quit iTunes.

2. Locate your iTunes folder (this is the folder that contains the iTunes Library and iTunes Library.xml files).
Mac OS X /Users/[your username]/Music

3. Open your iTunes folder.

4. Drag the "iTunes Library.xml" or "iTunes Music Library.xml" file to the Desktop.

5. Drag the following file from your iTunes folder to the Trash:

Mac OS X "iTunes Library" or "iTunes Library.itl"

6. Open iTunes.

Important: Do not add any content into iTunes at this point (such as by purchasing something from the iTunes Store).

7. Choose File > Library > Import Playlist.

8. Navigate to the "iTunes Library.xml" file on the Desktop.

Mac users: Click Choose.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
do I empty trash after I drag in the itunes library .itl to the trash?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Not yet

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ouch! there are only 90 songs in that batch
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Do you have more than one user on that computer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes,

also, I noticed that there is a file called iTunes Library 2012-05-31.itl dated 5/31
and another dated 12/6/11 both have about 1.4 MB for size
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
When you chose Previous iTunes Library you may have wiped out the current one. What is the file called that is dated 12/6/11?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
iTunes Library 2011-12-11.itl
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hold Option and open iTunes, select Choose Library and choose the iTunes Library 2012-05-31.itl

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
have I lost the thread?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
What do you mean? Did you try that?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
oh, i missed a message I tried it there was a scrolling and a message - updating Library. 3400 songs, but still the old songs have the ! sign and when I click the same message of not found with a option to try to locate with previous librarys in the choices

Is it time to bail on this one??
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Is it asking to locate the Library or the song?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The song “Mr. T” could not be used because the original file could not be found. Would you like to locate it?

I 'm thinking I need to take this desk top to the AppleStore.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
OK it is not asking you to choose a library but the actual song. In iTunes go to File / Add to Library / navigate to your iTunes Media folder and click on Open.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When I clicked on media - it started going through a lot of songs on the itunes box that shows what song is playing. but that is all still getting ! in front of all the songs

I want to give up!
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
The you will have to create a new Library by holding option and starting iTunes / Create New Library then justy drag the iTunes Media fodler to the Music Library in iTunes.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We both have invested wfay too much time - but you have to worry about getting paid
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
I just don‘t want you to give up, there is nothing Apple can do, the last suggestion will bring all the music back but you will have to create your playlists again. Accept or not that is up to you. Good luck.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is there a way to get 1/2 price on this?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
You would have to ask customer service:

http://www.justanswer.com/help/contact.aspx
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I hope to work something out with custormer service so that you will get something, because I am done with this. I have mentioned your good effort.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
OK thanks. Your music should still be in the iTunes Media folder if you are logged into the correct account, just reimport it. Good luck.

Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.