iteachmac
iteachmac, The Duke!
Experience:  Mac help ,music midi expert, logic pro recording ,electrical installation ,ilife & all mac computing

I hope this question makes sense. WARNING! Its a dandy.

Customer Question

I hope this question makes sense. WARNING! It's a dandy. It has to do with iPods and creating iTunes libraries on a computer for each one of them!

The computer is Windows 7 HP Pavilion Elite HPE. (In short, I don't know a damn thing about computers, either!)

On an older computer eventually in need of repairs, someone had set up an iTunes library, three in all, for each of the following iPods: 1) a small blue iPod just for audio; 2) a small Touch iPod for audio and video; and a 32gb Touch audio and video. More info about each one of them I can't supply, sorry. How I would get in contact with each iPod's iTune Library was by just connecting it to the computer and then things would happen automatically (What things I no longer remember; it was that long ago).

And then somehow I screwed things up. I wanted to remove an opera from the 32gb iPod, and I think (again, I no longer remember) that I deleted all of the libraries BUT NOT FROM the iPods. Also I had everything backed up on a Seagate external drive, which again someone else had done before this catastrophe happened.

So I asked the guy who originally set everything up to do it again--each iPod with its own iTunes library on the computer. He tried but couldn't do it. Then he no longer had time to do it. When I asked him to write down the instructions step by step, as I am now asking you, he said he could do that but I wouldn't be able to follow the steps. (Recall my warning at the beginning of this message?!)

Sop I asked someone else to do it. She and her boyfrtiend assured she did it and told me how three or four times. She even wrote down the steps, but after she did that she confessed she didn't know how to do it.

No one else knows what she did. And of course, months later, I sure as hell don't!

CAN ANY OF YOU PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME HOW TO SET THINGS UP SO THAT EVERYTHING WOULD BE AS EASY TO GET TO--THE IPOD LIBRARIES AND ALL THE ENTRIES--AS THEY ONCE WERE?
Category: Mac
Expert:  iteachmac replied 2 years ago.

iteachmac :

Welcome ,I will give a full and clear answer to your question, please make sure to reply to any questions I have. They may be essential to my reply.

iteachmac :

Hi ,

iteachmac :

ok that sounds complicated , and your getting a bit confused .

iteachmac :

OK , right off , where not going to do anything till you understand how all this works .

iteachmac :

Its quite simple really .

iteachmac :

But we need to know a few facts and how it all works .

iteachmac :

iTunes , apple ID , and libs and syncing .

iteachmac :

first .

iteachmac :

Apple ID .

iteachmac :

You only need one ID .

iteachmac :

If you have more than one , stop .

iteachmac :

Use only one , use the account with the most purchases via apple or itunes store .

iteachmac :

This will reduce the problem , and understanding down in to one account .

iteachmac :

Fact , you can use up to 5 or so computers , and devices with one account .

iteachmac :

iphone , ipod ipad Mac PC , Apple TV and so on .

iteachmac :

Use only one account .

iteachmac :

Now with , this info . Log in to each device you own . With the same account .

iteachmac :

On PC or Mac , itunes , Store menu .

iteachmac :

On devices , settings , store . see email address / apple ID .

iteachmac :

log in .

iteachmac :

You can view your account via the itunes store menu. or via :

iteachmac :

See manage account.

iteachmac :

You can see your details card info , purchase history and so on .

iteachmac :

Your apple ID is basically your email address used to setup the account , plus a password XXXXX to log in.

iteachmac :

Once you understand how the apple id works , then we are half way there and avoid confusion..

iteachmac :

Remember you only need one account . So make sure to check each device and itunes is using the same account .

iteachmac :

To follow we will need to understand Home sharing , and device sync .

iteachmac :

Heres a long post of info that should help with part of that .

iteachmac :

Please let me know once your up to speed on the above and below .

iteachmac :

Ipod sync is one way in most cases , although.

Sharing :

In itunes try using the File menu and transfer purchases from ipod /iphone , to the second Mac or PC .

You my need to Authorise the computer to share your music and downloads at which point you will be asked for your apple ID and password XXXXX

Purchases on the ipod /iphone will be copied to itunes .

Sync the ipod / iphone so all music and data is current.

If you have music from a different computer , make sure it is shared with the second computer using home sharing . Once the music and data is shared across all computers and ipod / iphone , then you can remove the computer that is not being used anymore if you have one you want to sell etc at a later date . See Deauthorize computer in the Store menu , and turn off sharing for this computer as below.

More on home sharing:

There is a home sharing option built in to itunes 9 onward . Please use Apple software update if needed to upgrade itunes to the latest version. See Start menu , all programs , or apple menu software update.

You can use this option to share the music and video in the home place network .

-

Sharing your iTunes library across computers

If your computer is connected to other computers over a local network, you can share items in your library with up to five of those computers.
While your computer is on and iTunes is open, others in your network can play your shared items, but shared items can’t be imported into others’ libraries.
If you want to import items from other iTunes libraries on other computers in your home, you can turn on Home Sharing.

You can use Home Sharing with up to five computers.
To use Home Sharing, you must have an iTunes Store account.
Sharing is intended for personal use only.

To share your library with other computers on your local network:

Choose iTunes > Preferences, click Sharing, and select “Share my library on my local network.”

Select the items you want to share.

To require users to enter a password XXXXX they can see your shared items, select “Require password” and enter a password.

If you choose to share your entire library, its name appears in the iTunes window (below Shared) on other local computers set up to look for shared libraries.

To change the name others see, choose iTunes > Preferences, click General, and type a new name in the Library Name field.

-

To turn off sharing:

Choose iTunes > Preferences and then click Sharing.

Deselect “Share my library on my local network.”

-

To import items from other libraries using Home Sharing:

Choose Advanced > Turn On Home Sharing.

Type your iTunes account name and password, and then click Create Home Share.

Using the same user name and password, repeat steps 1 and 2 on each computer.

To import items from another computer, select the computer (below Shared), and drag items from its library to yours.

To automatically import iTunes Store items that are downloaded to a computer you’re Home Sharing with, select “Automatically import new purchases from [Computer Name].”

-

To turn off Home Sharing:

On each computer, choose Advanced > Turn Off Home Sharing.

You can share movies; radio station links; and MP3, Apple Lossless, AIFF, WAV, and AAC files. You can’t share programs purchased from Audible.com or QuickTime sound files.

You can also find this info in Itunes help , launch itunes , use the top screen help menu , select itunes help , search for home sharing.

-

Once you are shared across all you computers and authorised , and Deauthorized if needed "if a computer is not used any more or to be sold" ..

-------

If you have music on a second PC that is imported via audio CDs or downloads or your own music etc and you don't want to authorise the other computer .

Be aware of copyright on music and other MP3 or video content , also convert WMA "Windows media audio files" files to MP3 or AAC for use on Mac if moving files from a PC , this can be done in the itunes import settings , choose a WMA file in the itunes library window , use right mouse button on the selected audio file and select Make MP3 Version or convert to MP3 AAC , the setting is made for conversion / import in the itunes preference , please ask if help is required.

You can use home sharing to copy over songs etc from one computer to another using the same account via the itunes application .

iteachmac :

Now sync understanding .

iteachmac :

iphone / ipod sync etc.

firstly :-

turn on iphone / ipod and charge , make sure it on on working ok .

1 load itunes , on the PC or Mac.

2 plugin the iphone / ipod to the macs USB port , not via a hub or the keyboard ,

3 in itunes , you should see the iphone / ipod icon appear to the left in the side column above playlists etc .

4 click in to the iphone / ipod

5 you will see the various tabs for syncing the information .

6 you will see the sync button on the lower right hand side .

Each device has its own sync settings and will differ from device to device depending on what you choose for each device .

iteachmac :

Full Size Image

iteachmac :

See photo showing the sync options .

iteachmac :

Full Size Image

iteachmac :

With options set the sync will pull from the itunes library and the data and music within it . .

iteachmac :

If you just have data on the ipod or iphone and not in the itunes library on the Mac or PC , please ask .

iteachmac :

You will need to copy from the device to the computer first , adding the data and music etc back to the library .

iteachmac :

Normally this cant be done , so you need some tools to do this .

iteachmac :

Please let me know once your up to this point and what you still dont understand .

iteachmac :

Thanks.

iteachmac :

Some of the info below will be repeats of above so please bare in mind .

iteachmac :

If you have more than just downloaded or purchased content in your itunes library and you need to get it back from an ipod due to computer fail or stolen laptop etc , please read on .

Basically you cant normally use your iphone or ipod to reload your computer with your songs or store a backup with/on the ipod / iphone etc .

You can get back your address book info and calender as this can be synced to the new Mac setup .

In future always use the built in backups in itunes and iphoto applications for keeping a up to date backup , save to a DVD and store in a safe place .

Options :
There are a few ways to get the songs off of your iphone / ipod , if it is jail broken and unlocked . but this is not 100% trusted method and will invalidate your warranty and possibly brake the phone for use in itunes normally , i would not try to do this .. because of the legal issues , i cant give you direction on how to do this either .

However , please follow this link to read about the options that will possibly suit your predicament . I.e your music is on your iphone / ipod and you have lost your computer , backup and files altogether .

This application for both Mac & PC should help retrieve all your data , also there is a free trial so you can check its what you need before paying:)

we need to use an application to fetch the data off the ipod .

More options here :-

http://www.metaphoriclabs.com/articles/5-ways-to-copy-music-off-your-ipod-windows-mac-os-x/

Important . Do not plug in the iphone , ipad , ipod to the computers USB yet.

The folder where iTunes backups data are stored on the computer varies depending on the computer's operating system.

iTunes places the backup files in the following places:
▪

Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/
▪

Windows XP: \Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\

Note:
To quickly access the Application Data folder, click Start, and choose Run.

Type %appdata% and click OK.
▪ Windows

Vista and Windows 7: \Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\

Note:
To quickly access the AppData folder, click Start. In the search bar, type %appdata% and press the Return key.

Full info.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4946

Step 1:

Go to the backup location above and copy/paste all the backup files to a different location folder on your desktop etc . 

Step 2:

Go to the preferences in iTunes , For Windows iTunes , Edit menu , Preferences , 

Then click the Devices tab, 

Turn off the option to sync automatically. Close the prefs . 

Quit itunes .

Download:-

Windows :-
http://www.getsharepod.com/

Mac funbox:-
http://ifunboxmac.com/

Mac senuti :-
http://www.fadingred.com/senuti/

And install , and use the tool to recover ipod data and follow instructions to recover .

More Software choices..

also :

http://www.iskysoft.com/syncpod.html

or

http://www.wideanglesoftware.com/touchcopy/index.php?KagiAffiliate=27kb

or

http://www.i-funbox.com/

More options here and Windows Explorer desktop windows instructions to access files on using windows :-

Ok once things are fixed up and back to normal , iTunes is working fine and all songs are copied back to the iTunes music library folder , make a backup See File menu , Library , Backup..

If you need more help please ask .

-

Good to know:)

Itunes home sharing .

Note:
Things are changing as iTunes moves cloud based. . "online streaming , downloads " for your own music etc , see new iTunes updates for this possibly soon to come new share option.. see info for newest iTunes 10 and iOS 5.1 + iCloud.

iPod sync is one way in most cases , although.

How to share?

Sharing :

In iTunes try using the File menu and transfer purchases from iPod /iPhone , to the second Mac or PC .

You my need to Authorize the computer to share your music and downloads at which point you will be asked for your apple ID and password XXXXX

Purchases on the iPod /iPhone will be copied to iTunes .

Sync the iPod / iPhone so all music and data is current.

If you have music from a different computer , make sure it is shared with the second computer using home sharing .

Once the music and data is shared across all computers and iPod / iPhone , then you can remove the computer that is not being used anymore .

See Deauthorize computer in the Store menu , and turn off sharing for this computer as below.

More on home sharing:

There is a home sharing option built in to iTunes 9 onward . Please use Apple software update if needed to upgrade iTunes to the latest version.

You can use this option to share the music in the home place network .

-

Select the items you want to share.

-

To turn off sharing:

-

Choose Advanced > Turn On Home Sharing.

-

To turn off Home Sharing:

You can also find this info in iTunes help , launch iTunes , use the top screen help menu , select iTunes help , search for home sharing.

-

Once you are shared across all you computers and Authorized , and Deauthorized if needed "if a computer is not used any more or to be sold" ..

-------

If you have music on a second PC that is imported via audio CDs or downloads or your own music etc and you don't want to Authorize the other computer .

Just burn an MP3 CD/s and copy the music to the iTunes folder by adding the music to the iTunes library , check import settings in iTunes preferences . Or use home sharing to copy via itunes.

Be aware of copyright on music and other MP3 or video content , also convert WMA "Windows media audio files" files to MP3 or AAC for use on Mac if moving files from a PC , this can be done in the iTunes import settings , choose a WMA file in the iTunes library window , use right mouse button on the selected audio file and select Make MP3 Version or convert to MP3 AAC , the setting is made for conversion / import in the iTunes preference , please ask if help is required.

knowing all this info will help you understand how everything works ,some of the info would be a one off such as getting back data from the ipod devices etc if needed , I hope this helps .

Thanks.

iteachmac, The Duke!
Experience: Mac help ,music midi expert, logic pro recording ,electrical installation ,ilife & all mac computing
Expert:  iteachmac replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  iteachmac replied 2 years ago.
Please let me know how you get on , and if you get stuck on anything .

I can break it down ,

Thanks.

Paul.