CompExpert
CompExpert, Mac Specialist
Experience:  Apple Desktop/Laptops with 8 years exp. Apple Certified
63903440

Since yesterday my Apple iMac no longer seems to recognise

Since yesterday my Apple iMac no longer seems to recognise my card reader for photos when I plug it in. Everything else seems to be working fine. I have tried 2 different card readers but both with same result!! Many thanks. Bruce.
Category: Mac
Expert:  CompExpert replied 2 years ago.

CompExpert :

hi,
try to plug in the usb port that you know is working like your keyboard usb port or mouse.

also, try to plug in your card reader to another machine if you have one.

that will determine if your card reader is defective or your computer usb port.

if you try card reader on another computer and is working.

and plugin into imac keyboard known working usb port but system still not detected.

go to apple menu --->>> software update

install all available update and reboot your computer.

and try it again.

let me know if you still run into problem.

it might be not the card reader or usb port on your computer, but the memory card that insert into the card reader is defective.

Customer:

I already tried all of this apart from different compute (not available). Makes no difference.

CompExpert :

that mean the card reader hardware is defective

CompExpert :

you might want to get a replacement from any computer store

CompExpert :

card reader cost about $20

Customer:

The photos can be viewed on the camera when inserting the memory card.

CompExpert :

yes your memory card is still working

CompExpert :

just the card reader is defective

CompExpert :

go to computer store buy another card reader

something like this --->> http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Flash-Memory-Reader-FCR-HS219/dp/B00109Y2DQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338617608&sr=8-1

CompExpert :

then plug in your memory card in the card reader

CompExpert :

and transfer your photo to your computer

Customer:

I already said I had tried a new card reader and it was still the same!!

CompExpert :

so you didnt have another computer to try it on?

Customer:

No

CompExpert :

did you test your imac usb port with another device and see if it works?

Customer:

Yes

CompExpert :

what operating system do you have installed on your imac?

CompExpert :

snow leopard 10.6 or lion 10.7

CompExpert :

you can click apple menu --->> about this mac or get info

CompExpert :

and it will show you what version you have

Customer:

Where do I find that?Is is OS X

CompExpert :

click on the little apple icon

CompExpert :

then select about this mac

CompExpert :

it will show you a number like 10.5, 10.6, 10.7

CompExpert :

also, what error message did the system gave when you plugged in the card reader?

Customer:

Yes I did that already. It comes up with Mac OS X Version 10.6.8

CompExpert :

10.6.8 is snow leopard osx

Customer:

Sorry I can not remember the message but is was something like Unable to access plug in or something like that. I got it 3 times then nothing. I have been using this same system succesfuly for about 2 years.

CompExpert :

okay

CompExpert :

do you have snow leopard osx installation disc?

CompExpert :

you might need to reinstall it, dont worry your data will still be there

CompExpert :

find osx installation disc

CompExpert :

I will show you how to reinstall it.

1. insert osx installation disc into dvd drive
2.shutdown your computer
3.power on again right away press and hold down "c" key on the keyboard
4. keep holding it until you get into a language selection screen, click right arrow to move to next screen
5. then follow the instruction on the screen to reinstall your osx snow leopard 10.6 operating system

Customer:

I have 2 discs OS x Install DVD & Imac Applications Install DVD

CompExpert :

after finished resinstall osx

test your card reader with iphoto again

the whole installation process should take about 1-2hrs

CompExpert :

put in the osx install dvd

Customer:

ok it is in the machine now

CompExpert :

remember make sure you hold down c key right away after power on your imac

CompExpert :

also, bookmark this page

CompExpert :

so you can go back later

Customer:

I just put it in should I shut down and start again??

CompExpert :

put it in, shutdown your computer and power back on again right away hold down c key

Customer:

OK I just saw your message!

CompExpert :

okay

Customer:

OK I did that. But still the same. Now I can not send email messages after reinstalling software!!

CompExpert :

what error message did you get when trying to send email?

on your memory card make sure it doesnt have the lock switch turn on.

CompExpert :

Full Size Image

CompExpert :

click on the little apple icon, select software update and install all available update

Customer:

No error message. Just does not transmit emial, but receives ok, When when close message it say message not sent. Don't think my memory cards have a lock switch. It was working fine just a few days ago and nothing has been changed.

CompExpert :

when you plug in your card reader, does it show up on computer desktop?

were you able to open it directly from desktop without going through iphoto?

Customer:

No.

Customer:

That is how I normally open it. I do not go through iphoto, but I also tried that as well. Tomorrow I wiil take BOTH card readers (one is new but I could never get it to work)to the shop to have them checked out.

CompExpert :

yes please do that, seem to me it all come down to the card reader is defective.

Customer:

Let's hope that is the problem. Then it's easy to fix!! I will let you know what happens.

CompExpert :

:) thanks

hope you have a great weekend

CompExpert, Mac Specialist
Experience: Apple Desktop/Laptops with 8 years exp. Apple Certified