Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

My computer has a gray screen with an envelope & a ? Mark in

Customer Question

My computer has a gray screen with an envelope & a ? Mark in the envelope? Not sure if a disc is in the player, heard a clicking sound, so I started to close all open apps.... No response, so I turned off. Now have gray screen. Any ideas"?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
It sounds like the hard drive might be failing.

Put the current operating system disk in (the disk that came with your computer unless you have upgraded, in that case use the new system disk) and restart holding down the letter C key until you see the Apple logo. Choose your language then you get to the install screen DO NOT INSTALL, you will see at the top of the screen a Utilities menu drop down. Go the Disk Utility, Highlight your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Choices are MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-898 and Mac OS X Install DVD.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
In that case your hard drive has failed that is just your DVD drive. Do you have a backup?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't understand back up... So everything on my hard drive failed or is lost... Do I need to click on first aid, erase or restore?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
The hard drive is not showing up at all I’m afraid you have lost it then. There is a possibility a service provider or Apple might be able to get the data off back but it might be costly, the hard drive definitely needs to be replaced.