John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry

I have downloaded everything from my iphone 4 to my computer

Customer Question

I have downloaded everything from my iphone 4 to my computer and now I can't find my contacts. Help!
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 2 years ago.
Hello! My name is XXXX, X self-employed tech, and I'm offering my time in good faith today to provide advice and information.

Had you been regularly syncing your iPhone to iTunes prior to this loss?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no only aynced itn yesterday

sorry with typing

don't t;hink it's lost ;Ijust csnnn't find it

Thanks.

There is a concern here because when iTunes first detects a new iPhone, one that has never been synced previously, it often wants to wipe the device and start fresh. However, there is hope a backup might be stored in one or two places.

With the iPhone disconnected, open iTunes

Click the Edit menu

Choose Preferences

Select Devices

Do you see any backups listed for your iPhone?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes

jit says Patti's phone

Good. Does the time stamp on it seems to be from prior to the loss of contacts?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes yesterday 3 pm

they may be here & I just do not know how to recall them

Okay, on the same screen, place a check mark next to "Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically" then click OK.

Connect your iPhone to the computer.

When it appears in the iTunes sidebar, right click on it's name and choose "Restore from backup..."

If prompted, choose the backup you found previously.

Once completed, check for your missing contacts.

Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If you continue to have questions on this topic, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further. Thanks and good luck,John