Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

My MacBook Air has been having wireless network problems. Yesterday

My MacBook Air has been having wireless network problems. Yesterday I lost wireless access to my printer. I managed to get that back today. Now I have lost access to the internet and my e mails. (This is coming to you from my iPad!) The MacBook can see the hub and as I said can print wirelessly. Network Diagnostics / Assistant keeps failing - looks like perhaps the ISP and/or other addresses have screwed up? HELP!!
Regards
Bob
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

First restart or power off and on all the devices including the router, computer, printer, etc.... Let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
DONE.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
OK any change?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No - still no internet (Safari) access or mail access.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
OK go to the Airport icon at the top right of your screen and click on it. Do you see your WiFi network listed in the dropdown with a checkmark next to it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Go to System Preferences / Network select WiFi then Advanced then TCP/IP what is listed there?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Using DHCP
IPv4 Addrsss: 192.168.1.64
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Router: 192.168.1.254
Congigure IPv6: Automatically

3 other line items have no entries (Routrt, IPv6 Address; Prefix Length.

Renew DHCP LEase has a blank box underneath for DHCP Client ID (if required).
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
OK that seems right you can’t get on the Internet?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Correct - no internet and no e mail
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Select the DNS tab and click on the plus sign and add this number 8.8.8.8, then again and add 8.8.4.4, then try Safari.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nope! No joy.

Should I have deleted what was there already (192.168.1.64)?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Yes delete that, that can’t be right that is the IP address of the computer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, deleted that and now only your 2 number strings are there. Retried Safari and still will not load.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
What is the message?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No message - just hangs in http:\\www.aplle.com/store/startpage/

The blue bar is just over the http text at the start of the line.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Type in apple.com and hit Return.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I typed: http:\\www.apple.com
It still just hangs as before.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Version 10.7.4
1.8 GHz Intel Core i7
4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Restart and hold the Option key until you see your boot partitions, then choose the Recovery HD, when it boots select the Disk Utility and Continue. Then select Macintosh HD on the left and first Verify Disk if that is OK Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair Disk.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OPTION KEY??!!??
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Two to the left of the spacebar? You can also just hold Command - R to boot straight into Recovery HD.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Verify conclusion = appears to be OK. Just started Repairng permissions (5 mins).
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Permissions repair complete
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
On the iPad go to Settings / General / Network select your WiFi network then click on the arrow to the right of it to see the DHCP info what is it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
DHCP = Boot P Static
IP = 192.168.1.88
Subnet = 255.255.255.0
Router = 192.168.1.254
DNS = 192.168.1.254
Search Domain = home
Client ID = [blank]
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Add 192.168.1.254 to the list of DNS on the MacAir
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Bingo! Through on Safari but Mail gliched and would not down load e mails from my main e mail account from the server; it did download from 2 sub accounts! So I logged on to the host via Safari and that seems to have unblocked Mail. Weird but at least I am back on line. Muchos Gracias!!
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
OK you can delete those two other DNS addresses.

Remember, if for any reason you’re unsatisfied, we can continue our conversation until you’ve received the information you’re looking for. If I haven’t answered your question, please let me know and I’ll be happy to answer any other follow-up questions you might have.
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.