Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

iMac wont power up. All I see is apple logo and circling

iMac won't power up. All I see is apple logo and circling swirly thing, has been on one hour
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
MacKeeper is garbage in my opinion.

Put the current operating system disk in (the disk that came with your computer unless you have upgraded, in that case use the new system disk) and restart holding down the letter C key until you see the Apple logo. Choose your language then you get to the install screen DO NOT INSTALL, you will see at the top of the screen a Utilities menu drop down. Go the Disk Utility, Highlight your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So I'm running snow leopard an , just to be sure, you want me to put that in and then follow your directions?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry, I'm running lion os does that make a difference?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Yes you said Snow Leopard in that case:

Reboot and hold the Option key, select the Recovery HD to boot from, then run Disk Utility and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Anyway, I put in snowleopard an pushed C till logo came up. Still nothing past tat. Can't eject disc either

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Don‘t use that disk. You can leave it in for now.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Rebooted holding option key but still nothing past logo. ? Select the RECOVERY HD to boot from? I will get back to you ASAP, I have to leave for work. Now using iPad so won't have Internet for 30 - 60 min. Thanks
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Then it is not completely off hold the power button for about 10 seconds then start it and hold the Option key. How can we continue if you are not near the iMac?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

finally have a chance to get back to this problem. The computer has been off all this

time. I plugged it in, pushed power on and held Option key till logo and swirley came on. Nothing else is happening, just seems to be thinking.

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Are you sure you are running Lion?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
as sure as I can be
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Try holding Command -R instead
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
progress! mac os x utilities is now displayed restore from time machine backup, reinstall mac os x, get help online, disk utility
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Disk Utility then Continue, Then select Macintosh HD on the left and first Verify Disk if that is OK Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair Disk.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

" this volume macintosh HD appears to be ok". Am repairing permissions. Say its

estimating ? 16 hours, if so I'll get back to you tomorrow. I assume I can power it off

so I can take computer home with me in about 5 hrs? Then start with repair permissions again.

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Yes but that time is usually way off. I would cancel that then shut down, talk to you tomorrow
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Tried powering up with Option button held down. It worked this time, I then went into disk utility and ran verify. This time there were lots of Red messages aboutl corruption etc. When that was done I ran repair disc, when it said disk was repaired I closed out of disk utility program. Now do I need to reload software or what? I'll get back to you in

AM. Thanks for your help so far.

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
You should Verify Disk once more then Repair Permissions, restart. If you are having problems after that I would Option start again and this time just reinstall Lion, run Software Update when finished.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Verify disk said was corrupt an needed repair. Did that ok, now running permissions. Will do option start one more time then reinstall lion etc, then let you know.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Ok I would just start normally first but you can do that too.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
For the past 3 hrs the computer has said 3 hrs 20 min remaining in Lion download. I assume this download is not going to work?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
It could take that long, the first time I installed Lion it took all night but that was when everyone was trying to download it. Unfortunately it does not keep the installer after the initial install.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, so it just will take awhile. I just thought the time remaining would change as download to continue. Thanks
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Yes it should of course, but for some reason that estimate is not always accurate. It is possible it is frozen too. If it does not finish in an hour or two you might try rebooting and try again but if you have to force shutdown make sure you check the disk again first. Good luck.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
went to mac apple store and they ran diagnostics on it for free. Said drive had a bad sector that wouldn't allow program to finish thus drive wasn't able to be used and they couldn't save data. So I now have a new hard drive and guess I better figure out how to set up time machine. By the way will it be a waste of my
time to set mac keeper up again. Be honest, I work with couple of others that use it, but I value your
advice. Thanks for your help, will look forward to asking for you with future problems. ED