Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

My Mac Cd and video drive on my macbook will not play cds

My Mac Cd and video drive on my macbook will not play cd's or videos,
I insert them fine, I hear the drive run them, but then it ejects them.
I think the drive itself is fine, May be a software problem. And Ideas.
Thank You
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.

First I need some information and I also want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation :

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Click on the first icon in the Dock the "Finder", then click on Go at the top of the screen, you will see a drop down menu, go to Utilities. When that opens double click on the application called Disk Utility. When Disk Utility opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that is OK in green type, then click on Repair Permissions on the left.

Note: If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Mac OS X
Processor 2.1 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 3gb 667 MHz DDr SDRAM
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
What version of Mac OS X?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Mac OS X
Processor 2.1 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 3gb 667 MHz DDr SDRAM
Running Disk Verify Program & Repair Permissions
Disk Verify came back in the green.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok but you still did not give me the Mac OS X version. Look under Mac OS X.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Max OS X Version 10.7.4 Mike
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Is that a MAcbook with a battery you can remove on the back?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Try thisd:

Resetting the SMC & PRAM on Mac portables with a battery you can remove
  1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Disconnect the MagSafe power adapter from the computer, if it's connected.
  3. Remove the battery.
  4. Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.
  5. Release the power button.
  6. Reconnect the battery and MagSafe power adapter.
  7. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need them in step 9.
  8. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
  9. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
  10. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts.
  11. Release the keys.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Did you try that?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I did.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
If no change I am guessing the drive may be dirty you can get an aircan or drive cleaning disk and try that.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nothing Worked Mike, I appreciate your time. Looks Like I will have to take it in to the apple store to resolve to the problem. What do I need to do now, with reference to the account I now have?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Did you try cleaning it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did. Nothing! I tried various disks just to be sure. Still no change.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
OK it probably just needs cleaning, but you can take it in if you want.
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Mike!
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
OK good luck.