Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I cannot force quit my Macbook pro no matter what I try. I

I cannot force quit my Macbook pro no matter what I try. I color wheel has been spinning for 2 days.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

What version of Mac OS X are you using ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't know--but it is a few yrs old. the laptop is off
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Do you have the Mac OS X installation discs ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
that is what I am looking for
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Turn your Mac off. Turn it back on and hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. Then type the following command...

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)

If you can't run /sbin/fsck - fy then type only fsk - fy

Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. When it finishes and there is no error, then type reboot and hit return. Let the Mac boot up. (Disk Utility will fix all system errors, bad preferences files etc)

Let me know if that didn't worked. Only click Accept after we solved the problem
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

reboot
eexit
fsk-fy
reboot

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Were you able to run Disk Utility ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think I was typing on my imac keyboard--don't laugh! I will try again.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Good Luck :)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
an error message occurred while trying to answer you back. The screen is up but there are NO icons & the wheel isn't anywhere, so I don;t know where I stand
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Are you in a black screen with white letters ? If so, type those commands
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no, it is just my screen saver that is up--only a photo--no words, no icons, no other screens.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
You are not in Single User Mode. Try again..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
how do I try again? Did I miss an answer? Am I supposed to power off & do those steps again or what?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Turn off your Mac and turn it back on and immediately hold down those keys until it boot into Single User Mode. Let me know how it goes...

Also is there anyway to get the discs ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will have to tear my area apart looking for them--I haven't used them & don't remember where I put them. I am trying the other re=booting deal right now
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
We will need them if Disk Utility doesn't worked...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the dialog says: command not found for both items. I will have to search my house so I guess my problem wasn't solved. Can I get back to you? Or just abort this whole thing & start over?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
You probably not writing it correctly.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
You probably not writing it correctly. Please try the commands again

Also add a bookmark of this page so you can get back to me later
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
All fixed!! Take my money and thanks!
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Glad I could help you out....:)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just so you know, it went out again, and when I went to the Apple store they saw my hard drive was failing, so I had to replace it at additional cost. Oh well, should have gone there first. Found my dvds too. thanks anyway
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.

I'm sorry to hear that. Hope everything fine now...