Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I bought an iMac in October 2011. I am running Mac OS X 10.7.4,

Customer Question

I bought an iMac in October 2011. I am running Mac OS X 10.7.4, and have a 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 processor. A couple of weeks ago, the sound stopped working entirely. The main volume icon, which appears when you change the volume using the keyboard, appears greyed out; the 'sound' tool in system preferences tells me 'no output devices found'. The mute box is ticked, but is greyed out so I can't adjust it. Please help! Thanks
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

We can try some basic troubleshooting steps and see if that works or not.

Reset PRAM and NVRAM (Solution 1)

1. Shut down your Mac
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  6. Release the keys.

Restart in Safe mode
(Solution 2)
Make sure that the computer is shut down. Press the power button. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator. Let the Mac boot up...

Run Disk Utility in Single User Mode(Solution 3)
Turn your Mac off. Turn it back on and this time hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. Then type the following command...

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)

If you can't run /sbin/fsck - fy then type only fsk - fy

Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. When it finishes and there is no error, then type reboot and hit return. Let the Mac boot up. (Disk Utility will fix all system errors, bad preferences files etc)

Let me know if that didn't worked. Only click Accept after we solved the problem
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for this.

Some of your suggestions pre-suppose that I can hear chimes or other sounds. As I said, I have no sound! Could you please re-write them so that I know when to do various things without having to rely on hearing anything (particularly Solutions 1 and 2)!
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Can't you hear the startup/chime sound too ? If so, while resetting PRAM and NVRAM, hold down those keys for 10 seconds and then release them

Also do you have any external speakers ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I can't hear anything! No startup/chime sounds at all.

I don't have external speakers.

I will now try the solutions you suggest, and get back to you.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Also, try this System Management Controller reset method too.
  1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Unplug the computer's power cord.
  3. Wait fifteen seconds.
  4. Attach the computer's power cord.
  5. Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.

This will reset all the hardware components of your Mac.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
None of these solutions worked.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Do you have a headphone ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No. Sorry.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Sorry for the delay....Is there any way to get one ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Maybe. Why do I need them?
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Plug it in the sound output port of your Mac and see if it reactivate the sound card.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay. May not be able to get headphones until later this afternoon, but will try when I do.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
If that didn't worked too, then probably your sound card is fried and you will have to take it to the Apple Store

Remember, if for any reason you’re unsatisfied, we can continue our conversation until you’ve received the information you’re looking for. If I haven’t answered your question, please let me know and I’ll be happy to answer any other follow-up questions you might have.