CompExpert
CompExpert, Mac Specialist
Experience:  Apple Desktop/Laptops with 8 years exp. Apple Certified

im trying to download the os x lion so that I can get the icloud.

Customer Question

im trying to download the os x lion so that I can get the icloud. when I try to purchase it I get a message that I need to remove items from my startup disk and try again. apparently my computer is running out of storage? what do I do? Oh, and my trash wont dump the trash. It seems stuck.
Category: Mac
Expert:  CompExpert replied 2 years ago.

CompExpert :

hi,
you can force empty trash by doing this method

1. Press and hold the mouse button (or if you have a two button mouse – right click) on the Trash icon in the Dock. The context menu for Trash will display.
2. Press and hold the Option key.
3. Select Empty Trash from the context menu for Trash.
4. Release the Option key

also, go to computer store and buy a usb flash drive, 16gb or 32gb should cost about $30

used it to backup your data. music, video and pictures are the thing would take up most space specially if you have itunes.

Mac OS X: /Users/username/Music/iTunes/ <---- location of where itunes folder is

OSX Lion required at least 7gb of space but it can be more since you download from app store.

7gb just to install it, another 10gb for download and expansion.

Customer :

I am trying to dump trash now. I used the method you suggested. it started to dump then just stopped. trying again.

Customer :

I have a acomdata box to download things into, just not sure how to use it...

Customer :

when I try and dump trash it tells me there are locked items to remove and gives me the option to remove all or just the unlocked, I've tried both ways. It seems like its dumping and initially shows 60,000 items to remove then the pop up dissapears and I look to see if its been dumped and nothing...

Customer :

Hello.....

Customer :

So again, when I try to purchase the os x lion app the app store says "We could not complete your purchase" "You need 3.9 GB of space to download Mac os x 10.7. Remove items from your startup disk to increase available space." Trying to figure out how to do this....

Customer :

Your help hasnt helped me yet....

Customer :

going to sleep now. I will check back in the AM to see if you've responded again.

Expert:  webpagesby22 replied 2 years ago.

Do you have any videos, music, photos, or documents on your computer that you dont need to free up space?

download free trash it software only 1.3 mb and used it to trash your files

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/8214/trash-it!

also just plugged in your acomdata box into the usb port, it should show up on your desktop, just drag and drop files you want to back up in there.