CompExpert
CompExpert, Mac Specialist
Experience:  Apple Desktop/Laptops with 8 years exp. Apple Certified
63903440

I cant update or restore my ipad - Ive tried everything that

Customer Question

I can't update or restore my ipad - I've tried everything that your website suggested and still can't. This is getting very frustrating. It shows unknown error -1 which is not shown anywhere on what to do.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

Put your iPad to DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade) Mode and restore it from iTunes. Follow the steps below to put your iPad to DFU Mode;

• Connect the iPad to your computer with the USB Cable.
  • Open iTunes application on your computer
  • On your iPad Press and hold the Home button and the Sleep/Wake button at the same time.
  • After exactly 8 seconds release the Sleep/Wake button. Continue holding the home button until your iTunes shows a message telling you that it has detected an iPad in recovery mode.
  • Click OK or Restore

Note : Put it to DFU Mode while connected to computer and also in DFU Mode your iPad will remain blank.

Let me know if that didn't worked..Only click Accept after we solved the problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That didn't work - it restores only so far - there's about 1.5" left on the bar to restore and then I get the unknown error -1.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Can you restore it from different computer ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Create a new user account on your computer, then login to that user account and then restore your iPad from that account
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's trying the software update and has 2 hrs remaining. I will let you know what happens.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well it downloaded and extracted the software and then tried to restore and came up with error 21 which i looked up and it said security issue. I went into msconfig and disabled evertything but Itunes and quicktime and then it said I needed to have bonjour running so I enabled that and tried to restore again and it came up with the -1 error again.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Is there anyway to restore from different computer ? That is the only option I could think of now

Remember, if for any reason you’re unsatisfied, we can continue our conversation until you’ve received the information you’re looking for. If I haven’t answered your question, please let me know and I’ll be happy to answer any other follow-up questions you might have.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No - I only have one computer.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
You could try it from your friend's or neighbour's computer...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

we are out in the boonies and the closest person we know is an hour away. I looked at the event viewer and have this error - will this help?

Product:Windows Operating System
ID:1001
Source:Microsoft-Windows-DHCP-Client
Version:6.1
Symbolic Name:EVENT_FAILED_TO_OBTAIN_LEASE
Message:Your computer was not assigned an address from the network (by the DHCP server) for the network adapter with MAC address %1. The following error occurred:
%2. Your computer will continue to try to obtain an address on its own from the DHCP server.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
That doesn't tell much....The problem is not with downloading the firmware, but with updating/restoring
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So you can't help me anymore I guess
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Sorry..but I'm stumped on this. I will opt out and open this question to other experts in here.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
How can I get this ipad restored
Expert:  CompExpert replied 2 years ago.
hi,
unfortunately, error -1 on itunes, meaning hardware failure.

hardware failure can only be fix by replacement of parts.
I would recommend bringing to apple store and have them fix the hardware.

I just want to give you a straight answer since I dont want you to waste time and effort trying to fix it or restore when the problem is not fixable by software.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have received this error everytime I update this Ipad and eventually I would get it installed - the error isn't posted anywhere or I would have brought it in with the first update. One of the errors I received after the download last time was error 21 which is security error but I've uninstalled all the security.
are you still trying to get your ipad restore?

seem like you were sucessfully restoring it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can't get it restored this time
make sure you update your itunes to latest version.

http://www.apple.com/itunes/

enter DFU mode and try to restore again

1.Attach the ipad to the pc
2.Turn the ipad off
3.Press and hold power. Keep holding power. As soon as you see display on the screen of any sort press and hold home.
4.Hold power and home together for *exactly* 10 seconds
5.Release power but keep holding home until the pc beeps as a USB device is recognized.
6.At no point will the display come on. Now your restore should work.

open itunes and click yes for restore if itunes asked

if that still doesnt work, you have to restore your device on another computer.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it's downloading the ios update but the computer didn't beep. I tried this once before and it downloads the update - extracts the software and get6s almost done with the the restart then comes up with the error. Hopefully this time it will work but everytime I have to wait two hours for it to downlad so I'll let you know. How I worked around it before was to only download the ios update and install it myself instead of having it do both but it won't let me do that this time.
remember restoring is different from update ipad os.

go here download os 5.1.1 for you ipad directly

http://osxdaily.com/2012/05/07/ios-5-1-1-download-links/

to update os to 5.1.1

open itunes, plug in your ipad, hold down shift key and click restore.

itunes will asked you to locate .ispw file, just direct it to the ispw you just downloaded
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I know that they are different but that's how it all starts every time. I need to update the IOS and it won't install and then it tells me I need to restore. Last update I downloaded and installed and then restored. The link you gave me does not give me a download for the IOS - it gave me a download for some download manager and changed my homepage on IE9. I don't have any security installed because itunes said to remove it because it may be blocking the update.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I downloaded and it tried to update and restore at the same time and again the error came up. I will try on someone elses computer tomorrow and see if that does it.

Also, I could not get the DFU to work - I shut it off and held down the power and hold for 10 seconds then let go of the power but no beep ever happened and the apple plug window came on the screen each time I tried it.

thats weird

usually, press and hold power and home button for 10 seconds, then release only power button but still home button until your computer recognize you ipad again.

if you were in recovery mode you should know because the screen on your ipad will turn off.

here is a youtube video that show you how to do it --->> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6FSHAp6fvk

anyhow, have a goodnight

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nothing is working - I give up and will have to take it somewhere. Thanks anyway.
im sorry to hear that.

just bring to apple store and they will take care it for you.

no appointment needed, just bring it in as a walk-in.

http://www.apple.com/buy/locator/ <----- go here to locate a store near you