Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

I have the first generation Apple iPad model MC497LL Version

Customer Question

I have the first generation Apple iPad model MC497LL Version 4.3.5 (8L1). I need to download an app that requires 5.0. How or can I upgrade my iPad?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

Hello, my name is Dan.

My home is close to Lake Ontario in New York State in the Eastern time zone, I am generally online between 10 AM and 11 PM Eastern standard Time.

If I do not respond right away to your reply, rest assured that I am not ignoring you, I am probably assisting other customers and/or doing research, I will be with you as soon as I can.

I will continue to work on your problem until it is either resolved or you give up.

The only stupid question is the one not asked. Some may seem silly but never stupid.

Do you have a computer with iTunes on it?

It requires that as previous to 5.0 version of iOS need iTunes to update or upgrade.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have updated iTunes and added the Cloud software. I am in the process of updating the iPad to 5.0 but it keeps asking me to transfer files that I have purchased on the iPad to itunes. These are apps. I have transferred them manually (I thought sync would automatically do this. After transferring them it still reminds me to transfer files... I am now continuing without transferring the apps from the iPad to iTunes a 3rd time.
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
iTunes has a quirk that does this, it asks for transfer even though it has been done.
Look in Applications.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
They will be here if they transferred, also even if that did not transfer all of your purchased apps, music, movie, etc can be re-downloaded from the iTunes store without having to buy them again.
Apple has lightened up on this, used to be if, for some reason, all was lost then buy it again, now you can download past purchases without problem.
Go ahead and let it do its thing, it is all safe.
It will not take long to update, now when a new iOS comes along you can do it without connecting to the computer, it will sync and update wirelessly.

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!